Friday, May 29, 2015

5 Fandom Friday

So, how cool is this? I found Five Fandom Friday!  It was an idea originally posted by Nerdie Girlie.  You can find her blog here:  http://www.thenerdygirlie.com/p/5-fandom-friday.html.

I have to admit, I found a Five Fandom Friday post because of an author I reviewed on here.  Angie Pedersen, author of Star Trek Crafts has a fabulous blog: http://angiepedersen.typepad.com/.  The first post on her page is about Five Fandom Friday.  Well, hey, I was so intrigued I just kept reading and following links until I found the original idea on Nerdie Girlie's blog.

The idea is just so fascinating... I am jumping right onto this bandwagon, and joining in the fun!

It's a unique way to express a little bit more about myself - the fun and wacky side - that I'm not certain everyone sees on here.  Believe it or not, I am a wacky and slightly crazy kind of person!
(As if that hasn't been made fairly clear on here over the course of time.)

So, without farther ado, this week's topic (which I've switched up to meet my interests just a skosh...)

5 Favorite Characters

1) Rose Tyler (from Doctor Who).  This very smart and funny companion to the doctor is my kind of woman.  A no nonsense adult who enjoys exploring new places and situations.  She minces no words, and thinks fast on her feet. 

2) Laura Ingalls Wilder - Yes, I know she was a real person! So, she doesn't really count, but she DOES.  I love the take charge, I can survive and thrive on next to nothing mentality of the Ingalls family.  A self- sufficient family living on the edge of a wilderness that very few of us will ever experience.  I taught myself many of those self-sufficient skills long ago, mainly out of curiosity, but as I've grown older there are always things I'm glad that I know how to do the "old fashioned" way.  What I love the most about this family is that LOVE was what bound them together and kept them going, no matter what.

3) Amelia Peabody (written by Elizabeth Peters).  Amelia is a smart,intelligent, inquisitive woman, living in Victorian England, where her educational and career opportunities are squelched by social conventions. After the death of her father, Amelia travels to Egypt to explore a place and time she has read about and vastly researched.  No longer caring about social conventions or norms, Amelia travels the Nile River, falls in love with a noted Archeologist, and solves the mysterious circumstances that frequently surround their archealogical expeditions.  What I love most about Amelia is that she never lets norms or conventions stand in the way of doing what is right - whether it's medicating the local children and animals, or working to advance the cause of education for women. 

4) Gandalf (The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings).  Gandalf is always in the heart of every matter.  The story revolves around him, and his efforts, even if he isn't present at that time.  I love his long term view of a situation.  He doesn't look at the solution that would make situations easy to solve now - he looks at situations through the lens of what will be best in the long term for Middle Earth.

5) Lucy Ricardo.  (Do I need to say more?)  Again, I know she (Lucy) was a person, not a character, but her character in I Love Lucy was Pure Comic Genius.


No comments:

Post a Comment