Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Review: Luxury Yarn One Skein Wonders

image: amazon.com

Durant, Judith.  Luxury Yarn One Skein Wonders.  2008.  Story Publishing, North Adams, MA.

Softcover, $18.95.  ISBN: 978-1-60342-079-2.



I picked this book up from the library on a whim.  Someone gave me a bag of mixed yarn.  There is not enough yarn to complete one big project.  She literally gave me a huge bag full of yarn, with one skein each in different colors and weights.

So, when I found this book, I had to grab it and check it out.

As I've mentioned before, I've been knitting for a good long time.  I am an excellent knitter, and I do consider myself to be a cut above beginner.

This resource is fantastic.  These patterns are FUN!  Lace, straight knitting, cable, it's all there!  The patterns range from easy to expert.  Well written and well thought out patterns enable a knitter of any ability level to complete a quick and easy project.

The chapters are divided by yarn weight.  From super fine to extra bulky, you will find projects for those extra skeins of yarn just lying around your house.

I am currently working on a pillow for my daughter to take with her to go to school in the fall.  The thought is for her to have a few pillows to toss on her bed.  The pattern for the Silk - Cashmere Domino pillow is easy to follow, and I have had great success with the repeats of the pattern.  (No mysterious increases or decreases in stitches when I work the patterns.)

Even better for me, I don't have a silk- cashmere yarn to use with this pattern.  Instead, I pulled one of the blends out of the bag and I'm working the pattern with this blend.  It's a medium weight yarn, and I'm not adjusting the gauge on my stitches with this yarn to make the pattern end up the same size.  It's going to be bigger than what the pattern calls for, and that's okay.  It's going to be a toss pillow on her bed in a dorm.  I'm looking for texture and impact to help break up the monotony of a dorm room.

The only problem I have with this book is that I am now in a crafting dilemma.  As you know, I've been working on a quilt for oldest child to take with him when he goes to school in the fall.  I've temporarily put that away until after the graduation parties.  I have the uncut fabric for daughter's quilt sitting on top of my dresser.  The hopeful patterns look at me every time I walk into the room, reminding me that I really would like to have this finished before she goes to school in September.  This too has been put on hold until after the graduation party.  But what do I find time to do?  Knit a pillow with an intricate pattern.  (I can be such an idiot.)


No comments:

Post a Comment