Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Coming Events: Eagle Scout Ceremony

Our oldest son earned his Eagle Scout Rank this past spring.  He received the notification from the National Office that he was an official Boy Scout about a month before he graduated from high school.  A week after he graduated, he went off for his summer job at a Boy Scout Camp.  Between his camp schedule and his work schedule, this weekend was dubbed to be the weekend of the Eagle Scout.

I have been dilligently preparing for this event all summer.  I sent out the letters to our Congressmen, Senators, and President months ago. As the letters have been coming in, I've placed them inside of the plastic page protecting sleeves and put them into a notebook.

His Cub Scout album was finished a couple of years ago, and that will be going with us. 

All of the fun badges that he's earned over his 12 years of Boy Scouting are on his badge blanket, and that is also going to the ceremony.  His Arrow of Light has been tracked down, and we will be taking it with us to the ceremony.

I slapped together a display board of his Eagle Scout project, and I submitted a press release to our local newspaper.

I found this awesome book at the scout store a month back.  It's a fabulous handbook that lists all of the segments of an Eagle Scout ceremony, and gives the scout the opportunity to choose which type of material he would like to have read for each segment of the ceremony.  We spent a couple of nights during our vacation choosing what he wanted to have in each segment of the ceremony.  Somehow, he managed to talk his sister into participating in the flag ceremony- with her in her Girl Scout Uniform.  How he did that is a mystery to me, but I am so thankful that he managed to talk her into doing this.  Talk about memorable!

What is proving to be the hardest for me is getting the food planned out. 

I will be ordering a cake from the grocery store tomorrow.
We're going to have a veggie tray, a fruit tray, and chips and crackers. 
Water Bottles in a tub, and a 5 gallon thermos full of lemonade.

I feel as if we should have more, but I am at a loss as to what else we should put out. 
I'm open to any and all suggestions......


This post originally appeared in my now defunct "Mom's View" blog.  I moved it to this blog at the request of my kids, who wanted to have all of the various posts that accompanied their high school years in one place.  I've matched the publication dates here to their original post date.  If you're reading these posts, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to go back through them all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment