Monday, September 26, 2022

A little "too much" nature

 Husband was recently out of town for a family wedding. I was looking forward to spending a day doing not much of anything.

And then I got a call from my next door neighbor, letting me know that we had a dead deer in the very back corner of our back yard. Public works will only pick up a dead deer if it's within 50 feet of a county owned highway.

So, the neighbor and I got out there and did the ugly work of getting the deer out to the front of the house by the road where public works was waiting for us. They did the even uglier work of picking it up and getting it into the back of the truck. They told us that they were going to stop it by the nature center. They have several buzzards that are currently being rehabbed for injuries and this way, the buzzards could continue to forage and not lose their "edge" by getting used to human food.

All in all, a pretty cool circle of life thing when you really think about it.

But I was still having some issues wrapping my head around the death of the deer. And the smell.  I could smell it everywhere, no matter how many showers I took.  Honestly, I was beginning to feel a little bit like Lady Macbeth, but instead of saying "out damn spot", I was saying "Out, out damn smell"...

No comments:

Post a Comment