Friday, September 11, 2026

Remembering Sept. 11

25 Years Ago Today.

Do you remember where you were?  I do.  I was discussing this with a young friend who had not yet been born earlier this week.

I vividly remember the day.  The sky was that beautiful blue that only happens in the fall.  It felt like you could see a million miles that day.  It is my favorite sky color in the fall.

At the time, I was working from home.  I was on the computer, when the screen changed and looked like it was melting. Think crayons running down a screen, with the black moving from the top down.  To this day, it remains the strangest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Just a week or so before, we'd had a train crash in one of the tunnels in Baltimore that impacted the telecommunications on the East Coast, and I remembered thinking that "Folks in New York at the Trade Center commented on how weirdly their computers were acting in the wake of that."  Keep in mind, the news stations had not yet picked up the news story that the Trade Centers had been hit.  

Since it looked like my computer would be down for a while, I shut it off completely and headed to the gym.  I was there, at the Y, watching the horror unfold.  We watched the fires burn.  We watched the horror continue to unfold.  We heard that the Pentagon had been hit, and we all looked at each other with an "oh sh--" look on our faces. I remember driving home, wondering how such a beautiful day held such absolute horror.

My Mom was living in Virginia at the time.  Her house was 18 miles from the Pentagon.  She felt the impact when the plane hit the Pentagon.  She said that the house "jumped".

The days that followed were so filled with sorrow.  We knew people who were lost that day.  The world was forever changed.

In place of pictures of the horror of 9/11, I am posting pictures that we took a few years ago in New York City around the 9/11 Memorial. 




No comments:

Post a Comment