Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Reprieve From Classwork

In January, I decided to return to school.  Five classes shy of finishing my Master's Degree, I was done with excuses.  I applied for readmission and continued my journey through the online world of classes.
I am working on my Master's Degree in Library Science, with the eventual hope of teaching in a School Media Center. 

The problem is that the school I am attending online is out of state.  So, once I finish this degree, I still won't be finished.  I will have to take the classes to be certified in my state, and complete my student teaching experience. 

It's funny.  I'm already a certified teacher, and I do substitute teach on a regular basis.  However, I get to take another round of the Praxis exams, and take even more method classes and student teach AGAIN....  There are times when I am just not sure it's worth the effort.

Classes are coming along.  This quarter, I'm taking a class about Academic Libraries.  What with the addition of e-Books, e-readers, and the rise of electronic databases, the library world is quickly changing.  We are seven weeks into this ten week class, and our professor had to change the reading list for this week because so much has changed since she wrote the syllabus in December. 

The learning commons at Wesley Seminary.
This is the view down to the second floor.
The best part of this class has been the visits to academic libraries in my region.  I recently visited  the library on the campus of Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C.  Oh my gosh, this library is downright beautiful.  Newly renovated, the first floor includes a beautiful learning commons and new study rooms.  Okay, I freely admit that I am a library geek.  I love to visit libraries.  I love the books, I love the musty smell, and I love the atmosphere.  This building took my breath away.  Big open spaces on the main floor, with multiple stations for laptops.  Chairs with arm tables for holding books were scattered throughout the first floor.  A lovely cafe off to the side, with a coffee pot, and tables for groups to sit and collaborate completed this serene picture. 

It almost... almost...almost.... made me want to pursue another degree, just so that I could go sit in that beautiful library.

No comments:

Post a Comment