Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Long Silence Has Ended

July is, and always has been,  a very busy month for our family.  No matter how much I vow I will keep up with the blog, I invariably manage to fall behind.  Which leads me into August - and a Sunday afternoon blog post.

Over the past month, Middle Child worked at his summer camp, 2 hours away from home.  His "weekend" was from Monday night to Wednesday morning.  So, every Monday evening, I left home and headed up to the great wilderness north of Baltimore to pick him up.  2 hours back home, and then off I went to work the next morning.  This year, husband took the Wednesday morning drop offs as my work schedule doesn't allow me to be off during the morning.

Daughter took a two week art camp in Baltimore.  (More driving.  Husband did drop off, I did pick up at 3:30).  We visited 2 more colleges.  One college was dropped from her list of possibilities, and another was added.

Oldest son is looking at graduate schools.  He spent some time looking at schools in Maryland and Pennsylvania.  He has one more school to look at in New Jersey.  He is scheduled to take the GRE's in September.  Hopefully, his score will be high enough that he will be able to get into the school of his choice.  Just like daughter, his choice of school is dependent upon which school he has seen most recently.

I've been busy.  The "new" job isn't quite so "new" anymore.  After 4 months, I think we can call it a job.  It's a wonderful challenge, and I really, really enjoy the students that I work with.  They are all bright, curious, and full of enthusiasm.  They have this passion that makes me feel as if they will be able to change the world!  It's gratifying and oh, so very hopeful to see!

I celebrated another birthday last month.  Instead of celebrating an anniversary of my 36th birthday this year, I decided that I would instead claim the age of 42.  Ten points if you know WHY I chose 42!!!

Daughter will be taking her driver's test next week.  July was full of lots of driving.  LOTS of driving.  She has driven all over the Baltimore area.  I no longer feel as if I need one of those harnesses that race car drivers wear in order to protect them in the event of a crash.  We've never run off of the road.  At the beginning of July, I was consistently grabbing the steering wheel at least once a day to save us from running into a tree or a ditch.  As time has gone on, I've grabbed the wheel less and less.  It's been almost 3 weeks since I've had to grab the steering wheel.  (And only one week since she stopped dead in the middle of a back road and honked at the birds to make them get out of her way.  Kind of scary to realize that she lost a game of chicken to a house wren.)

Bats.  I'll have to tell you about the bat situation later this week.  That story will be a post in and of itself. 

I'd also like to mention the baseball team based out of Baltimore.  Take a look at their standings when you get a chance.  I have seriously got to get to a game SOON!!

My last  year of having a child in Public School begins in two weeks.  Now that's a bitter sweet feeling!  I'm not sure how I'm feeling about all of this... a lot of mixed emotions, that is certain.

I hope you are having a fantastic summer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment