Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I Love Clifford, the Big Red Dog!

source: http://tinyurl.com/npc4nhu  
I love Clifford.  I grew up with the Clifford books.  Emily Elizabeth was one of my favorite characters, and I loved the gentle world of Clifford and Emily, where problems were presented and solved with some thought and a little humor. Through first, second, and third grade, I would purchase a Clifford Book every time the Scholastic Book orders came home with the option for a new Clifford Book.

Eventually, I grew up and had children of my own.

When I was pregnant with my oldest child, I was teaching.  One of the Scholastic orders came through with the option of purchasing Clifford.  Clifford was the first thing that I purchased for my as yet unborn baby.  When we has just a tiny little thing, Clifford sat in his crib, watching over him.  The stuffed dog wasn't that big, but he was just about the same size as my tiny little newborn.  I have a couple of pictures of him with that stuffed dog that I am going to have to dig out and post on here. 

As the next two children came along, Clifford became one of our favorite sets of storybooks.  I could count on Clifford as a great story that would captivate their interest and keep them interested in the story.  The Clifford books were among the first books that they all read independently.

In 2000, something magical happened.  Clifford, the Big Red Dog became an addition to the PBS Kids line up.  I hadn't let my kids watch television up until this time, but... this was Clifford!  Voiced by the incomparable John Ritter, Clifford came to life in our living room every morning, sharing lessons about friendship, love, and problem solving.  Oh, how we loved Clifford, the Big Red Dog!!!

Eventually, we left Clifford behind.  And yet, my oldest still keeps his Clifford tucked into his dresser drawer.  I walked into the living room over Thanksgiving to find my kids - ages 17, 19, and 21, watching Clifford, singing along with the theme song, and reminiscing about the time they spent looking at maps, attempting to identify the mysterious Birdwell Island.

Norman Bridwell, and his characters, had a huge impact on me, my children, and countless others around the world.

He passed away last weekend at the age of 86 on Martha's Vineyard.

I will miss you and your characters, Norman Bridwell.  You had such a gentle way of teaching our kids about the world around us.  I hope that your life was truly as gentle as the one you portrayed in your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment