Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Just Because I Can, Doesn't Mean I Should

I've lost a little over 20 pounds this year!

HOORAY!

I've gone down a size!

HOORAY!

When we first moved out here 10 years ago and I put on all of this weight, I put away the clothes as I went up a size.  Over the weekend, I pulled out the bag of clothes that is the next size down.

I began putting them on, and experienced a fashion flashback from the middle of the 2000's.
An interesting decade in clothing.

Pants were of an interesting cut back then.  Not bad, but they aren't the same cut that they aren't now, and it's very obvious that they are ten years old.  I think with most of them, I can wear them again.  Well, except for the herringbone pattern.  That's a VERY dated pattern, and it's difficult to find anything I can wear that will go with those pants.

Then we get to the tops.  Yeah, the tops.  This is where fashion has changed most drastically over the last ten years.  I can salvage the sweaters.  Even if they are a little out of style, they're not the ugly sweaters from the 90's (That's another bag, a little farther back in the closet that will fit when I lose 50 pounds.)  The polo shirts can be worn again.  I can layer them under another shirt, or wear them with a sweater.  Those aren't a problem.  However, there are a few Hawaiian type shirts of questionable colors that I will not be sporting anywhere, anytime soon. 

But, there's this tiny little part of me that really wants to pull these shirts out and wear them to work.  I know they are horribly out of style, but there's a part of me that really wants to strut into work saying "That's right, see this?  I'm fitting into clothes I wore ten years ago.  Just look at this fashion that is screaming TURN OF THE MILLENIUM!!!  Don't you wish you could be me?  Check out this twin set!  OH, oh, look at this flower print crepe skirt that falls at mid-calf!  Look at my ankles!  Quick, check out my ankles!" 

If I actually did wear any of these outfits to work, nobody would notice.  Nobody would say anything to me.  I am pretty sure nobody would think twice about how I was dressed.

However, if I buy a new outfit in the newer, smaller size, I'm pretty sure that somebody would take note, comment, and I would feel good about how I look in my new outfit with my new clothes.

I am not going to give away those new/old clothes.  I am going to wear them at home, to the grocery store, and running errands on the weekend.  This way, I have some "casual" clothes that look nice that I can wear when I am out and about.

But wearing some of this stuff to work? 

Not unless if I haven't done laundry.   And with my track record, I'll most likely be wearing one of those outfits before the end of the week!






No comments:

Post a Comment