Monday, July 30, 2018

The Rain, it Doth Rain Every Day

Hershey Park had to close last week due to flooding.
Technically, it didn't rain Saturday or Sunday.  BUT, we have had rain every single stinking day this month.  I didn't think rain bothered me that much up until Friday.  I've had enough.  Too bad that the forecast is calling for still more rain this week.

Our creeks are flooded.  The rivers are high.  Basements are damp.  But surprisingly enough, Ellicott City has not flooded.  I was at a meeting in Catonsville late last week.  I stopped by the Catonsville Library to look around, and then I headed home through old Ellicott City.  I heard that the main road was reopened, and I was curious to have a look around.  As I drove down the hill towards the bridge, I looked to my left and saw a full - a very full - river.  With another thunderstorm looming, I was thinking that the river would flood again.  The river was so full, I was surprised that they were still letting traffic go across the bridge into town.  I found out later I was in the last of the cars that was allowed to cross the bridge before the county shut it down over fears that it would flood.

No, Ellicott City did not flood.  But our basement did.


Yeah- here's another part of the story.

Our basement flooded last weekend.  Husband and I went out and did what we could to alleviate the water coming into the basement, and then I went out and bought a dehumidifier.  After 24 hours of almost constant running, we discovered that the water wasn't actually collecting in the bucket.  It was running down the side of the dehumidifier and down onto the floor.  Husband decided to "fix" it by putting the dehumidifier in a large rubbermaid tote.  I walked down about an hour later to see the dehumidifier, sitting on two wooded boards in a rubber tote filled with about an inch of water.   Something's wrong with this picture.



Anyway, I took the dehumidifier back on Monday.  I'll get another one, but I don't think I'm going to be getting the same brand, and I'm not going back to THAT store!
The sky Friday evening on the way home.

One last story about the flooding.  I close on Monday nights.  It's dark when I come home.  I drive over a tiny little "crick" with a tiny little bridge on my way home.  Monday night, I was driving the CRV when I drove up to that tiny little "crick".  Because it was dark and pouring down rain, I couldn't tell that I had hit water - a LOT of water - until I drove into it.  I wasn't sure the car was going to make it through.  That tiny little crick had completely covered the road - and the water came up over the hubcaps on my CRV.  If it weren't for the 4 Wheel Drive and the higher clearance, I'm not certain that I wouldn't have been on the news.  You know, as fodder for the 24 hours news cycle with the headline that read "Idiot Librarian Receives Overdue Notice on Standing Water".

As I write this on Monday morning, the sky has clouded over and rain is in the forecast for yet another week.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment