Wednesday, August 1, 2018

2018 Resolutions August Update

July has been a very busy month.   I haven't had a chance to post much, but I've gotten a lot accomplished this month outside of the blog!  I've spent time with kids, with friends, and cleaning out the house.  Much progress has been made in reclaiming our basement!  FINALLY.  13 years after we moved in, I think we might finally be able to call the basement our own by the end of the year!  (Well okay, most of the basement.  Let's not be hasty here.)

My goals this year were lofty.  It's time to check in on them and see how I'm doing!

1) Participate in the NoSpenduary Challenge.
Did this!  No spending in February and March.  We're back in minimal spending mode now, tyring to build the savings back up again.

2) 40 Bags in 40 Days.
17 boxes at the end of June.

This month, I've done my best to get stuff - lots of stuff - out of the house.

Boxes to Good Will - 4
Bags O' Trash - 3
Miscellaneous Furniture -
1 Freezer circa 1972
1 Dehumidifier circa 1975
3 (2 drawer) file cabinets
1 desk top to fit over 2 of the file cabinets
3 dressers  (yes, you read that right, I had 3 empty dressers in my basement)
2 twin beds
1 old mini van

Total Items for July - 19

Total to Date: 36

Just 4 more boxes and bags!  I can do this!

3) Get Away With my Husband - TWICE
      1) Australia
      2) I've got a rough plan.  Need to start making some reservations!

4) Get One Big Debt Paid Off this Year
Working on getting the Civic paid off by the end of the year.

5) Finish Daughter's and Husband's quilts.
I'm sitting here as I type this, looking at the quilt.  And the hoop.  Every time I put the quilt in the hoop, Hobbes likes to pounce into the hoop.... it's making it impossible to finish the quilt!

6) Get Out to See Middle Child This Year
Hooray!  We got to see him over Memorial Day Weekend!  Now, we've got to find a way to get out to see him sometime over the holidays.  Maybe we can get him out here for Thanksgiving?  I'm trying to figure this out...

7) Replace the Roof on the House
I don't think it's going to happen this fall.  I want to make certain we've got the cash on hand to pay daughter's tuition this winter.  We're so close!  She graduates next spring.  As of this semester, we have run through the last of the Pre-Paid College Trust.  We'll be on our own for the Spring Semester Tuition.  I want to make certain we have it set aside well ahead of time.  So, the roof will have to wait until next spring.

8) Exercise Most Days During the Week
Done and doing this!

9) Make some of my Christmas Gifts this year.
Working on this.

10) Cut my Grocery Budget to $250/month
 Well, I've stopped keeping track. I'm giving up on this one.
I honestly don't have the time to keep track of everything I spend at the grocery store.

11) Turn my yarn and fabric stash into something more... but what?
Graduation present for daughter's boyfriend.
Baby Blanket for a Co-Worker
Turned a spool of tulle and blingy sparkles into a Fascinator for the Royal Wedding.


I'm currently working on a shrug for myself with yarn that I purchased for that purpose 4 years ago.  It's a beautiful, sea green and blue yarn.  I've found a wonderful lacy vest pattern that I purchased online.  Too bad that I just can't make that lace work!  The shrug will still be beautiful, but it won't be a lacework pattern.

12) Take One Item Off my Bucket List
 I did it!  And it was a big one!  I went to Australia with my husband!

13) Have One Media Free Day per Week

Not been a problem.


14) Visit 12 Libraries I Have Never Been to Before

Laurel Public Library
Lawrence Public Library Truman Library and Museum
New South Wales Library
Central Rappahannock Regional Library Porter Branch
Laurel Public Library
Elkridge Public Library

Catonsville Public Library

I have a couple of professional goals I want to meet, too.  I'm not going to list them here, but they're always in the back of my mind!


Professional Goals

1) PG #1
I had an article published! 
2) PG #2

No comments:

Post a Comment