Friday, March 19, 2021

Rice Pudding

 I love digging through old cookbooks to find vintage recipes, don't you? I love seeing how people made food in a time when convenience foods didn't rule the day, and food was lovingly made from scratch with ingredients that were already in the house.   

I found a recipe for rice pudding that seemed simple enough for me to pull together on a Sunday afternoon.  It was from an old church cookbook published over 50 years ago.  I had all of the ingredients on hand, so I decided to try it.   This was magic.  Rich and creamy, with a nice depth of flavor.  I remember one of my Grandmothers making something like this for breakfast.

The recipe calls for cow's milk, but I used unsweetened coconut milk.  I imagine it would work well with any of the plant milks as long as the milk is unsweetened.


My Grandmother's glass.
Rice Pudding

1 quart of milk

1/2 cup rice

3/4 cup sugar 

Pinch of salt

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla


Wash the rice.  Add sugar and salt to the rice in a large saucepan. Add milk; bring to a boil and simmer until rice is tender, stirring often about 20-30 minutes. Beat in egg with half a cup of milk and add to the rice mixture. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool, stirring often.  Add vanilla and stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment