Friday, July 15, 2016

Kitchen Woes


I ended up having to call in a plumber to fix the plumbing work my husband had done under the sink.  In spite of the hours he had spent working on sealing the plumbing, water continued to pour out through every single join in the pipes every time we ran the water.  He had pans set up underneath of the cabinet, and told me "he'd get back to it" if we ever decided to sell the house.  The plumber came yesterday, and in just a little under 2 hours, he refitted all the plumbing under the sink.  Not only had husband used the wrong size pipes under the sink, he had attached all of the plumbing above the air vent. No matter what - because all of the water was draining out above the vent, we were going to have a leak under the sink.  I believe this is what caused the original leak.  My father in law did the plumbing under the sink 12 years ago when they still owned the house and remodeled the kitchen.  He was trying to save a few bucks by doing the plumbing himself. 



Note to self: Just call a plumber.  Saves time and money in the long run.

Look at all that pretty new plumbing!  See that pipe that goes back into the wall?  That's the vent.


We still have some work to do.  The laminate back splash on the counter will never again look "right".  We didn't remove it before we lifted the counter top in order to slide the cabinet underneath.  I've got some thoughts about what I want to do with that in the long run.  But for now, it's just leaning against the wall.  I have thoughts of a tile back splash.  I have thoughts of taking down a couple of kitchen cabinets in order to make the kitchen into an "open concept" space. But for now, my thoughts are going to wait.

To date, here are our expenses:

Plumber: $278

Kitchen Sink:               $316.94
Home Depot Run #1:      $20.90
Home Depot Run #2:      $15.78

New Base Cabinet for Under the Sink: $198
Home Depot Run:                                   $198
(Knob for front door, mold approved face masks, tarp, etc.)

Total Expenses to Date: $1027.62

As you may recall, our original budget to fix this was  $1500.

Since we had to call in a professional to handle the plumbing, I'm so very glad that we had some extra cash in the budget to handle the plumbing!

We still have $472.38 to fix the back splash.

I think we're going to take a break on kitchen remodeling for a few weeks before we hit up the back splash.  I want to enjoy using my kitchen for cooking before we have to shut it down for more work!

 Other Posts in This Series:

We Have Running Water in the Kitchen!
Progress!
Progress of One Kind and Another
 It Only Looks Like We're Not Making Progress
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

No comments:

Post a Comment