Monday, April 8, 2013

A Day in Baltimore

This post originally appeared in my now defunct "Mom's View" blog.  I moved it to this blog at the request of my kids, who wanted to have all of the various posts that accompanied their high school years in one place.  I've matched the publication dates here to their original post date.  If you're reading these posts, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to go back through them all! 


My youngest takes a class in Baltimore on Saturdays.  While she is in class, I take the opportunity to roam around the neighborhood.  I am always surprised at the beauty I find, hidden in between row houses, waiting to be discovered.


I found this little gem next to a row house.  Like most of the Mid-Atlantic, spring has not quite yet sprung.
Flower bulbs are out, but the bulbs are still furled tight.  You can see the daffodils on the far side of the pond, but the tulips are still deeply furled inside of their green leaves. The forsythia hasn't even come out yet!
Finally!  A tree full of cherry blossoms!  This was the only tree in bloom that I could actually find. 
Look at the blue of the sky.  I love when the sky is this shade of blue.  It's a sure sign of a great day with low humidity!
You can tell that not all of the blossoms on the tree are out yet, but there are many that are opened.
This is the door of a sweet little Catholic church.
Gorgeous wreath.  And look at the iron scrollwork on that door!  It's amazing!  The doors are big doors- old doors.  The church itself is well over 200 years old, and I'm thinking that the scrollwork is the same age.  I'm not sure about the doors.  They may have been replaced once or twice.  They are very thick, heavy wood doors... I think they are close to 10 feet tall.. it's part of a set of double doors, there were two sets on the bell tower - one set on the main street, and one set on the side street.






When I finally got back to campus, I sat and watched a game of "Zombies vs. Humans".  A rather hilarious game, since the kids were dressed in morph suits, tagged with plastic ribbons as to whether they were zombie or human, and carrying Nerf guns and large cardboard war hammers.  I tried hard not to laugh at the kids, but they were so cute, running around, chasing each other through the green grass and hiding behind trees.  The energy and joy of youth!  I'm glad I had the opportunity to sit and watch them, and share in their unadulterated joy for a while!

(By kids, I do mean college students.  I guess the better term to describe them would be "young adults".)




No comments:

Post a Comment