Friday, May 3, 2013

Getting Ready for Graduation

This post originally appeared in my now defunct "Mom's View" blog.  I moved it to this blog at the request of my kids, who wanted to have all of the various posts that accompanied their high school years in one place.  I've matched the publication dates here to their original post date.  If you're reading these posts, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to go back through them all! 

My middle child is getting ready for High School Graduation in a month.

It's hard to believe that so much time has passed.  It seems like only yesterday I was tracking down birth certificates, residence requirements, and shot records to register him for kindergarten.

When I think back over the trials and successes of the last 12 years, I can't believe how much we've been through.  The struggles with learning to read.  The frustrations he had when his school curriculum wasn't challenging enough, and the joy we experienced when we finally found teachers and schools who pushed him - and kept pushing him- until he finally found the thrill and joy of learning, and began to push himself to do more. 

I look back fondly on the last four years of high school, and I am so thankful for a staff that has allowed him to reach, stretch, grow, and try new things.  I've watched him become a self-confident young man with plans and dreams for his future that include earning a PhD.  He's come a long way for a child who didn't learn how to read until he was almost 9.

I've been working on his graduation paper work today.  Lots and lots of paperwork.  I think I'm tracking down almost as much paperwork now as I did when he started school.  The school wants the list of where the kids are going to school, their scholarships, number of seats we need for graduation, permission slips for the end of year activities, and the list goes on and on.  The senior handbook is 50 pages long, and I've ignored it for far too long.  There is much that is due in the next month - both to the high school and to the university that he will be going to in the fall.

It's a bittersweet time.  I'm thrilled beyond words that he has discovered what he wants to do and is ready to launch out into the world.  I am also sad, that my little boy is no longer my little boy.

*sigh*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment