Thursday, November 13, 2014

Just What Was He Thinking?

I originally shared this story on another blog that I used to write, entitled "A Mom's View".  This post is a TRUE story - you can't make this stuff up - That I published on July 11, 2011.  Enjoy this blast from the past!




I found a fabulous book at the library two weeks ago.  Eat Fresh Food: Awesome Recipes for Teen Chefs.


We loved the book!  The kids have cooked many recipes out of here.  Each one is more awesome than the last.  I've tried a couple of new things I've never tried before: spring rolls and tabouleh.  I was thinking that I might buy this book and add it to our collection.

But then, son #2 got in a silly mood.  (He is 16, so don't give him too much latitude, he should know better.)   Do you see that big red circle on the top right corner of the book?  Here's a picture of that circle close up and personal.  Make certain that you read the words closely:

Do you see where this is going yet?  He stuck the book in the oven.  At the time, the oven was off.  He forgot about it.  I unwittingly came along a couple of days later and turned the oven on to preheat.








A few minutes into the pre-heat cycle, I smelled something hideous coming from the oven.  Snatched the oven door open, and pulled the steaming hot book out of the oven. 


The interior of the book separated from the cover.  The glue on the binding just melted away.  The stitches on the side of the book are intact. The pages are still intact, though.


But take a look at the back cover.  Do you see how the plastic cover on the book has melted and is peeling off like your skin after a bad sunburn?  The entire cover is suffering from that kind of damage.

 Do you see that barcode?  It did the shrinky dink thing.  I had thought I'd be able to just pull the barcode off, and attach it to a new book and return it without ever having to admit to the library staff that the kid had actually "cooked the book".

I guess I AM buying a copy of the book after all....

This post contains a link to my Amazon Affiliates account.  Purchases through this site go to support this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment