Friday, November 21, 2014

The Best Cornbread, Ever

Earlier this fall, I found a cast iron skillet at a yard sale for 50 cents. 

Last year, I found out that I had to eat gluten free.  I've been changing my diet, and I've found things that work, and things that don't work.

Bread is one of those things that just aren't working well for me.

Until earlier this week.

I adore corn bread.  The gluten free corn bread that I have made from scratch or from a mix just hasn't measured up to my standards.

I made a huge pot of chili earlier this week.

I really wanted corn bread with my chili, so I dug out a package of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Bread mix.  And then, my eyes landed on my cast iron skillet.

"Hmmm...."  I had a vivid memory of my grandmother pulling an iron skillet full of cornbread out of the oven and setting it on the table.

"I wonder?"  was the thought that ran through my head.

While the oven pre-heated, I mixed up the cornbread, lightly greased the skillet with olive oil, and poured in the corn bread.

Oh my stars....... That was, quite simply, the BEST cornbread, ever.  Gluten Full, or Gluten Free, I have NEVER had cornbread that good before. 

So, you know, if you've got a hankering for some corn bread and you happen to have an iron skillet around, I suggest you try this amazing concoction for yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment