Tuesday, March 1, 2016

2016 Resolutions - March Update

I like to check back in on my resolutions monthly.  Since I started doing this, I've done a much better job of not only keeping track of my resolutions but also meeting those resolutions.  I really enjoy seeing big goals being met, and checking them off of the list!

1) Remodel the Hall Bathroom
Third time is the charm, right?

2) Improve my Health
For 2 years now, my goal has been to lose weight.  Over the last two years, I have lost weight.  But I need to lose more weight.  Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, I am going to focus on some larger goals that are a bigger indication of overall health.

a) Lose inches off of  my waist.
This year, my goal is to lose 3 inches off of my waist before the end of the year.

I've now lost ONE inch off of my waist!  One down, 2 to go.  I can do this!

Last year, my goal was to lose 10 pounds, and I fell short.  This year, I decided to concentrate on inches instead of weight.  In a fun side note, I stepped on the scale this morning, and I finally hit that 10 pound mark for the weight I was hoping to lose last year.   So, total weight lost in the 2 years since I really began a concentrated effort to improve my overall health?  23 pounds.  It doesn't seem like a lot, and it took a long time, but I really do feel like I've made a huge difference in my overall health.

b) Get my blood pressure down into the normal-normal range.
My next check up isn't until April... so, this will be the test.  Will I get lectured in April, or will my blood pressure be at the point that nobody thinks twice?  We'll soon find out!

c) Go down at least one clothing size. 
Working on this.... I've lost inches, or fractions thereof all over this month.  I'm fitting well into my clothing now.  Everything fits well, but I'm noticing that some things are a little bit too big.  I will have to buy new clothes for spring and summer.  Will I be able to go down a size next month when I start buying clothes?  This looks like some serious gym time before now and then.

3) Re-Start my Vegetable Garden
I've got seeds!  Lots and lots of seeds! I've even got potatoes!  The potatoes will be going into the ground on Saint Patrick's Day.  (It's the Irish girl in me.)  That's only a little over 2 weeks away!  The ground is really, really wet.  I sure hope that the potatoes take and don't rot!

4) Learn to Pressure Can
Still searching for a home canner.

5) Daughter's Quilt
Can I get this finished before she graduates from college?

6) Clean out and Organize the Carport
It's now full of dead leaves, in addition to snow shovels, rakes, and other miscellany that really needs to be cleaned out.

7) Exercise Consistently
Hey!  I'm getting there!  I've been writing down every workout that I've had to date.  With 60-ish actual days this year, I have a total of  40 workouts so far.  That seems consistent...

8) Clean out 23 Things a Week
52 weeks, 23 things each week, that's 1,196 things by the end of the year.

So, I've gotten on a roll as far as cleaning out the big, messy room in the basement goes.  It's been the dumping ground for 10 years now.  But, I've made serious progress in the last two months.  Everything I've pulled out or thrown away has come from this big, messy room.  We can now walk through the room without climbing over anything!  That's progress!  There's space - oh, so much space!  I still have much more cleaning to go, but the progress has been phenomenal.  I sent 525 items out to Goodwill this month.  I didn't even bother to count the tiny pieces of trash.  I'm just counting the ONE giant black trash bag that went out.

What was the oddest thing I found this month?  Blank checks from my college checking account.  That's right - the account I closed out in 1988.  I shredded those things up.  There weren't many, but it does beg the question - WHY did I hold onto them for almost 30 years?

Total things gone away this month:  525
Total things this year: 848
Big black trash bags (total): 3

9) Participate in the NoSpenduary Challenge
I originally found this on the Frugal, Debt Free Life Blog.
The spending we did do this month was for things we had to spend on - cars, root canals.  You can't get much more exciting than that, can you? 


10) Visit One Place on my Bucket List
Phase One - completed
Phase Two - begun

11) Get at least half of the CEU's I need to keep my teaching  and my library certificate.
 I worked to hard to get those certifications to just let them lapse!  It's never fun to take classes, but it's even LESS fun to have to retake all of the classes for a certificate you let lapse.  (Or worse - to retake a mandatory test.  I'm thinking of the Praxis exams.  I took the NTE's back in the 80's.  I'm not sure how well I'd do on the Praxis exams if I were to have to take them now.)

12) Scrapbooking
I need to catch up.  I know I had years that I didn't do this.  I went through all of the albums this month and found the years that I have not yet finished.  These are the years I am in search of:
2006
2009
2010
2011
2012
2015 -

I have 2015 in my hot little hands.  I downloaded all of the photos from 2013 and arranged them into an album, only to realize that I had already done 2013 once.  Note to self:  I have this list - CHECK this list before I repeat myself!  Just glad I caught it before I paid for another 2013 album....

13) Walk or Bike a portion of at least 6 Rail Trails
The weather is starting to get nicer!  I can't wait to get out and hit a few trails soon!

14) Pay off the big debt and one smaller one-
We are within $1000 of paying off the big debt.  I had hoped to have it paid off before the end of February, but that did not happen.  No Spenduary continues until this is paid off. The big one will be paid off by the end of MARCH.

15) The Recipes Tab
I nicely fixed up the recipe tab so that it is easy to find recipes that I've posted on here before.  For me, this is my online recipe book.  Some of the recipes are my own.  Some, I posted direct links to other sites.  You might or might not choose to use it, but I use it on a pretty regular basis, and I've found out that one of the boys does, too.  He likes the fact that most of what I've listed is food he already loves and that everything is fairly easy to make and budget conscious.



Did you make resolutions this year?  Are you meeting your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment