Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday Musings

It's been a fun week!  Daughter and Middle Child had their birthdays this week!  When on earth did I get old enough to have children who are 20 and 22 years old?  How did that happen?

It's Unfortunate
Do you subscribe to Netflix?  They uploaded A Series of Unfortunate Events over the weekend.  The books were a huge hit when my kids were in elementary school.  We even went to a talk given by Lemony Snicket's personal representative.  It was awesome!  The books seem to have died down in popularity over the past few years, but then Netflix uploaded the series.  Neil Patrick Harris is absolutely phenomenal as Count Olaf, and the series follows to close to the books, it makes me very happy!

Non-Event
Friday night, many of the forecasters in the Mid-Atlantic region were calling for massive snow and ice on Saturday - with snow amounting to one inch.  Yes, you read that right - one inch.  Ice up to 1/10th of an inch.   Hmmm... I know there was more snow and ice south of us, but the weather was not looking bad for us.  On my way home from work Friday night, I heard that our school system had already cancelled all activities for Saturday.  The library closed for Saturday.  (Not MY library, I work in another county.)  I stopped at the grocery store on my way home for a bunch of green onions and was blown away by the number of people in the store, stocking up on groceries as if we were expecting to be snowed in for a month.  (I decided I didn't really need the green onions after all and went straight home.)  So, how much snow and ice did we get?  Well, I went to work on time on Saturday morning.  We had no ice or snow.  I looked outside a couple of times and saw snow flurries, but nothing ever stuck to the ground.

ALA Youth Media Awards
So, what are these awards?  I'm sure you've heard of the Caldecott, Newberry, Coretta Scott King, and Pura Bel Pre awards for books?  These books are named as the best in their field for that publishing year.  The awards will be announced next Monday, Jan. 23.  I'll be watching the live feed online at 7:30 in my pajamas!  I can't wait to see who the big winners are!  Are you curious to find out more?  The list of awards being given out can be seen here: http://www.ilovelibraries.org/booklovers/youth-media-awards.  I hope you are just as excited as I am to see who gets honored!



No comments:

Post a Comment