Friday, December 3, 2021

The Foundation Series

 Have you ever read the classic Foundation Trilogy written by Isaac Asimov? I read it many years ago, and I absolutely loved the book. I enjoyed watching the Foundation grow from the seeds of nothing. However, I admit that I always had a few questions about some of the nuts and bolts of the Foundation, the Second Foundation, and the end of the Empire.  

I enjoyed the series so much, I ran a program on the Foundation at the Library pre-pandemic. I even put together what I consider to be a masterpiece of programming where we compared the Asimov's "I, Robot" series to "Westworld". Let me tell you, we did not have enough time in the day to encompass all of the points that needed to be made when comparing the two universes once you take the Three Laws of Robotics into account. It was a HOT discussion.

But then, Apple TV added a whole new layer into this discussion. They have given us The Foundation.

Season 1 is now fully available on Apple TV.  And I have watched all of it, and I will watch it all again, because there are just so many layers of this thing that I know I missed stuff.  And it was brilliant.  Brilliantly directed, and brilliantly written.  

It's been years since I read the books, but this feels true to the books as they were written. As of this writing, I don't feel a driving need to go back and read the novels - the adaptation makes me that happy.

If you've been on the fence about watching this series, wait no more. 

I really do hope that Apple releases this - either to DVD or another streaming platform.






No comments:

Post a Comment