Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Monday was a very Monday Day

Monday morning, as I was leaving for work I pulled the door shut behind me and realized right as the door clicked shut that my keys were still inside my house. We don't have a keypad on our door lock, so I was well and truly stuck.  

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had left a kitchen window unlocked.  Thankfully, this was not the one over the kitchen sink.  That one is a tighter fit, and the last time I climbed through that window, I barely got through.

I pulled a lawn chair over to the window, and I got myself part way through when I lost purchase on the chair and I was hanging at a tipping point, not able to go in or out.  I had visions of Winnie the Pooh in his Honey Tree.  Fortunately, there was more than enough wiggle room, I just needed to get past the tipping point.  Somehow, I managed to pull my left leg through the window - I looked a little like I was riding a horse, except that my horse was a window sill.   I finally managed to hitch myself the rest of the way in through the window.  Even on the inside of the house, it's still a bit of a drop from the window to the floor.  But, I got in.  I was a mess, and had to run and change clothes before I grabbed my keys and left for work.

Where was the cat?  Glad you asked.  As soon as I stuck my head through the window, she took off for parts unknown and wasn't seen again until I got home from work Monday night.

I got in the car, and the engine refused to turn over.  This was NOT the morning for this nonsense!

I ran back into the house, grabbed the keys to the OTHER car, it turned on and off I went.  I noticed as I was sitting at the light to get out of our neighborhood that the Low Gas light was on.  According to the range display on the car, I had 11 miles of gas left.  I work 8 miles away from home.  And I didn't have time to stop for gas on the way in without being late.

I got to work - with 1 minute to spare, and 3 miles worth of gas left in the tank.  

That moment felt a little like the scene in the Blues Brothers, where they are sitting in the car getting ready to go to Chicago.  I did have my sunglasses on.  No half pack of cigarettes since I don't smoke... but you get the idea. 

Oh, and the leg I pulled through behind me?  I've got a bruise that runs down my shin from my knee to my ankle, and it turns out that I skinned my shin half way down on the brick. So, it was not a flawless entrance by any means. 

The car is at the mechanic.  Wouldn't you know, husband got into the car Monday night and it started up with no problem at all.  Fortunately (for me) the mechanic couldn't get it to start yesterday morning. So no, I'm not losing my mind. Not today, anyway. Even better? Husband carpools to work. This was not his week to drive, so I have a car that I can use until the CRV gets fixed. 

Crazy, crazy start to the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment