Monday, May 18, 2026

A Founding Mother

*Trigger Warning - breast cancer, surgery, see below* 

Set in Revolutionary America, A Founding Mother is the story of Abigail Adams, wife of President John Adams (second president of the United States) and mother of John Quincy Adams (sixth president of the United States.)


Abigail was a frequent correspondent with her husband.  Due to his commitments, they ended up being separated for what amounted to twelve years of their early marriage.  Because Abigail wrote so frequently to John about life, the farm, and the happenings of the day in Braintree, Massachusetts, and because someone in her family held onto her correspondence, we have a unique view of the Revolutionary War and life in and around the times that changed the world.  The authors spent a lot of time reading through the letters of Abigail Adams, and visited the historic sites related to her before they sat down to write this book.  

The result in an engaging story that captures the spirit of a very fiesty young woman who raised children in one of the most remarkable moments in World History.  Their reliance on primary sources elevates this story to something that is a bit more than "historical fiction" and is closer to "historic fact".  I believe that they have done a great job of capturing the voice of Abigail and putting it into the pages of a modern book.

I really enjoyed this book!

If you're looking for a great book to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the United States, this book is the place to start.  

Trigger Warning-

There is a chapter where Abigail's adult daughter Nabby is diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  In an absolutely true story, the authors use Abigail's notes to describe an 18th century mastectomy.  It's a vivid account.  And hours after reading it, the description is still haunting me.  I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.  I had breast cancer last year, and the description of what Nabby went through is haunting me. It is difficult to read. Do I think that it is important to hear this story?  YES. Do I think it helps to understand the Adams family? YES.  I feel that this is crucial to the story line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment