Friday, May 29, 2026

Susan B. Anthony House

Susan B. Anthony was a powerhouse of a woman.  She is best known for her efforts to get women the right to vote. (the 19th ammendment)  But she was very active in her community and worked tirelessly to help improve the lives of others. Among other things, she was an abolitionist and a temperance worker.  

We visited her house in Rochester, NY and learned about her, her family, and all of the work that she was involved in.  Passionate and Tireless are two of the best words that I could find to describe her.  


This is the view of the front of her house.  We were not allowed to take pictures inside.  It is a fascinating house, with many artifacts from either her time in the house or donations from that time period from people in Rochester. 

If you look up at the 3rd floor of the house, you can see windows in the attic.  This very large space is where much of the work of the suffragist movement occurred.  It was humbling to be in that room and realize just how much of a difference those women made in the world in that little space.


Susan was arrested for voting in the Presidential Election of 1872.  She was tried in the Cannandaigua Court House. She was tried, found guilty, and fined $100.  Note that she never paid the fine.  It's well over 100 years later, and that fine is still on the books! 



I've got to admit - she is one of my all time favorite people.  I am so impressed by everything that she accomplished in her life.  I'd like to think that maybe I've accomplished a small fraction of what she has accomplished.  She's such an icon!


Susan B Anthony House and Museum

https://susanb.org/

The National Archives

https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/eyewitness/html.php?section=3


No comments:

Post a Comment