Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dinner Tonight

Dinner Tonight was another clean the crisper kind of night. 

Surprisingly, the meal turned out so well, I wanted to share it with you.

It's a hearty, meatless meal that will fill you up.  As always, don't go out and buy anything just to make this meal.  The idea is to use what you already have on hand in the crisper.  Add other things if you have them on hand, or keep them out if you don't have them.

Rice and Quinoa Pilaf

In a large skillet, sauté:

2 cloves garlic, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
4 carrots, diced
1/4 pound mushrooms, diced

When the veggies are nicely softened (after 5-10 minutes, when the onions are translucent),
add 1 cup rinsed quinoa, 1 cup of rice, and water- 4 1/2 cups.  (1 1/2 cups for the quinoa, 3 cups for the rice)

Add 3 broth cubes.  (I used my veggie broth cubes that I keep in the freezer.)

Bring everything to a boil, stirring to keep stuff from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Cover, lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop about a cup of nuts.  (Your choice.  I love pecans, so we used pecans because I tend to have them on hand.)

When time is up, remove cover from the rice and quinoa.  Stir a few times, making sure that all of the water is absorbed.

Add pecans and serve.

(I didn't have any peas on hand, but I kept thinking that fresh or frozen peas would have been really good, tossed in at the end with the pecans.)

We made muffins to go with our bake.  Dinner was beyond awesome.  By the time I realized I had a keeper and that I should have taken a picture of this, everything was gone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment