Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wardrobe Malfunction

FYI- I wrote this post yesterday afternoon, during my planning time.
I wish I could say I had made this up.
 
 
Everyone has a favorite pair of pants.
 
I have a pair of khaki dress pants that I adore.  They fit me well, and I feel as if I look good in them.  They have held up well for years, and they go with just about everything.
 
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.
 
I was sitting in a second grade class yesterday.  When I went to squat down next to a child's desk I heard a most unfortunate ripping sound.  The more I moved, the more I heard "rip", "rip", "rrrriiiipppp".
 
Fortunately, I was wearing a long sleeve shirt jacket style over another shirt.  I quickly took my shirt off and tied it around my waist.
 
When lunch time rolled around, I went to the bathroom to survey the damage.
 
My pants were torn - parallel to the seam, halfway up the back of my pants.
 
I had only one option.  I went to the media center, grabbed the stapler, went back to the bathroom and stapled my pants shut.
 
I had to be careful moving around and sitting, for if I wasn't, I got poked by the little pieces of metal running up the inside of my pants.
 
With half an hour left in the school day, my fast fix began to unravel.
 
One by one, I could feel the staples pulling loose and then dropping down my pants leg.
 
Every so often, I'd hear a tiny little "ping" as another staple worked it's way out and hit the ground by my feet.
 
With just minutes left in the school day, I wrapped my shirt around my waist.  I refused to sit, and stood in one corner, with my butt facing the wall as the kids were dismissed.
 
Like a dog with it's tail between it's legs, I slunk out of school and out to my car through a side door.
 
When I got home, I surveyed the damage.
 
A large tear extended from the waistband to the seam on the bottom.
 
Of the 30 staples I had used to "sew" my pants closed, 5 remained, unevenly interspersed along the length of the tear.
 
Where the staples had given way, the fabric was mangled and torn beyond repair.
 
I am grateful beyond words that the temporary fix lasted an entire 4 hours before giving way.
 
You'd think I would have learned my lesson after yesterday.
 
Today, I'm wearing my favorite jeans.  I noticed a slight tear in them this morning in a spot that I thought was virtually invisible.  I even ironed a patch on the inside of my jeans over the tear.
 
I noticed a ripping sound a while ago and managed to flag down an aide in the hallway to cover the class so that I could run to the bathroom.
 
Imagine that.  There's a rip forming - along the edge of the patch.  The edge of the patch that borders the seam.  Guess where?  *sigh*
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment