Monday, March 3, 2014

Food Inflation

If you've been in a grocery store lately, you've noticed that something funny is going on...

Package sizes seem to be shrinking, even though the price remains the same.

This phenomenon is commonly referred to as food inflation.

Have you taken a look at the farm situation for this coming year?  The Mid-Atlantic region is still covered in snow.  Typically, our fields are beginning to dry out this time of year, and the soil would be ready for our early spring crops in two weeks.  Considering we just received a new blanket of snow today, albeit a thin one, I think it's safe to say that early spring crops might not make it into the ground until the end of March.

California is suffering from the worst multi-year drought they've had since they began keeping records.

Florida lost much of its winter crops with the weather we've had this winter.

And what about the farm land that was inundated last spring along the Mississippi River?  It's going to be a couple of years before that land will be ready for commercial farming again.

It's not going to be long before the food manufacturers raise prices across the board and stop shrinking package sizes.

So, what can you do to help cut down on your own food costs?

I have a list of things that we've done.  For most of the last 20 years, I've been a stay at home mom, and we've lived off of one income.  For the past 4 years, I've worked as a substitute teacher.  Most of that money has been set aside to help pay for the textbooks and some other related college expenses the kids have.  I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to help cut the food budget that I've learned along the way.

1) Cook from scratch.  ALL of the time
It is healthier than using processed foods, and ultimately, it is cheaper.  If you work outside of the home, I know that this can be difficult.  I have several strategies that I use to help keep the stress down on working days:

  • I prep food on Sunday afternoon.  I will spend a couple of hours slicing carrots, celery, etc. and storing them into containers, labeled for use later in the week.  I've even gone so far as to measure out the spices into a container ahead of time, so all I have to do is dump.
  • Use your slow cooker often.  Set it first thing in the morning before you leave, and dinner is ready when you get home.  
  • Cook two, freeze one.  I do this with casseroles, lasagna, baked chicken, anything that I can make two of just as easily as one.
  • Once a month cooking.  Ever heard of this?  You do one massive shopping day once a month.  Then, you spend a day prepping, cooking, baking, and freezing.  It makes for a horrendously long day, but the reward is great.  No thinking about dinner for the next month. 

2) Use your leftovers.
As hubby's lunch the next day.  As part of another dinner.  In a casserole or soup.  Never, no not ever, do not ever throw anything out.  I currently have a Rubbermaid container in the freezer, holding leftovers - a little bit of green beans, some rice, and some carrots.  When the container is full, this will be the basis for a soup.

3) Bake your own bread.
Easy to do.  You don't need a bread machine.  It's easy to whip out a loaf of home-made bread in a few hours. 

4) Eat more soup.
For the investment of a handful of veggies and some broth,  you can have a rich soup that will satisfy a family of many for pennies.  Even better, leftover soup can be enriched with a handful of other leftovers and some pasta to make a tasty casserole on another day.

5) Shop at Farmer's Markets.
Okay, unless if you live in a warm climate, there aren't any open at this time of year.  Keep an eye open for them.  Buying directly from your local farmers, you are cutting out the middle man and saving on your bottom line.  Once you get to know a farmer, they'll also hold back a large order for you if you ask a week ahead. 

6) Plant a garden.
Now's the time to get those seeds started!  The payoff won't be for a few months yet, but you will basically have FREE food.  Even if you live in an apartment, you can still have sprouts in a jar on a windowsill, or veggies in a pot on  your patio.  (A POT garden!  Get it?  A POT garden!!)  And yes, husband and I had a pot garden on our balcony when we were first married.  We grew tomatoes and green peppers, and herbs.   Herbs are expensive!  (I mortified my very proper MIL when I told her we had a pot garden going....)

7) Learn how to preserve food.
Freezing, Canning, and dehydrating.  Start looking into it now.  Believe me, there is nothing like going to the cupboard and finding rows and rows of food waiting for you... food that you put up.  If you don't know how to can, research the internet.  Patrice Lewis has an excellent guide on how to can on her website: http://www.rural-revolution.com/., and here: http://www.rural-revolution.com/search/label/canning 

I will say this- canning IS a science.  There are precise guidelines on how to can for a reason.  Botulism kills - and if you are haphazard in your canning, you will discover what Botulism can do to your intestinal system.  Follow those rules and guidelines to the letter.   I learned how to can from my mother and grandmother when I was little, and then I took a "refresher" class from my home extension service before I began canning again.  I love what Patrice has to say about canning, and I am diligent about following my Ball Blue Book of Canning to the letter.

8) Pick Your Own
Find a pick your own farm near you.  These farms have lower prices, and they offer a volume discount.  In a typical year, I hit up our local pick your own farms for several bushels of tomatoes, apples, peaches, green beans, and corn.  Even better, when I patronize my local pick your own farmer, I'm supporting a local farmer, and keeping the money in my local economy.  I desperately want our local family farmers to be able to stay in business!
 
9) Coupons
Are they worth it?  Mostly, coupons are for highly processed foods.  I try to stay away from them as much as possible.  I know they are fast and easy, but I have begun to wonder what the future "price" will be - high blood pressure?  diabetes?  some weird chemical floating around in my system?  Since I've had to give up gluten, there really isn't much that I can eat that's covered by a coupon.  (I do use coupons on personal hygiene items when I can find them- soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.)

10) Meatless Mondays (and other days)
Meat is expensive.  Cutting meat out of at least one meal a week is going to save you at least $5 a week.  If you do use meat for a meal, make sure you can get the most out of it that you can.  A meat based meal, leftovers for a casserole, and a bone for soup or broth is a pretty decent haul on a whole chicken or a roast.

It's not easy, but all of this is worth it if you want to lower your overall expenses.  My husband says "It's like earning money, but it's not taxed."

Bonus- our overall health will improve if we eat fewer processed foods and graze a little bit further down the food chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment