Friday, June 14, 2013

Graduation, Maybe

Last week, middle child graduated high school.  Two weeks ago was the last week for Seniors.  And exactly three weeks ago, I got a call from the school asking if he was planning on graduating from high school this year?

A little background here.  Middle child has always considered homework and classwork to be more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. 

Don't get me wrong.  The child is brilliant.  If he enjoys the class and finds it challenging, he will work, and he will work hard.  He has a scholarship to attend college in the fall. 

However, if he thinks the class is worthless, or he finds the work to be "busy work", "stupid", or "a waste of my time", he won't do any of it.  NADA. 

This has been a constant battle between us for years.  I know he can do so much better than he does.  He chooses only to put himself out in "worthwhile" classes.  As a result, he's carried a high B average through all of high school.  And by high B, I mean 3.49.

So, the call from the high school went something like this:

counselor: Graduation is a week away.  He is failing three of his classes.  He is required to pass English in order to graduate, and right now, he is failing English.

me:  Just what do his grades look like right now?

counselor: AP Calculus, 100%.  AP Physics, 100%.  Honors Painting, 100%.  AP Macro Economics, 98%.  English, 19%.  Pop Culture, 20%.  AP Spanish, 21%.

me:  How on earth did he get grades that low in those three classes?

counselor:  He hasn't turned any homework assignments in AT ALL in those classes this grading period.  I spoke to him about it at length, and he told me that he was too smart to spend time "doing busy work just so the teachers could have something to grade.  If they want something to grade, give me a paper to write.  Ask me to analyze a piece of literature.  Don't give me 20 multiple choice questions about the plot of a story."

me: (squelching urge to scream, because I kind of agree with him)  Is there any way he can turn in the back assignments and get enough credit to graduate?

counselor: Yes.  If he turns in all of his back work, he will get half credit on each assignment.  That will raise his average up to just above a 50%.   It's still failing, but he has major assignments and papers due in each of those three classes this week.

me: (resisting urge to bang head against the wall)  Thank you so much!  I appreciate the heads up!

So, when he got home, we had a discussion about his grades that consisted of me saying "How do you let your grades slip so far down?  What are you thinking?  (and even more to the point) YOU are going to lose your scholarships!  Your admission is dependent upon your final transcript!"

His response consisted of, "Don't worry Mom, I've got this".

That weekend consisted of him spending pretty much the entire weekend in the library, or at the dining room table.  He refused to talk with us, but he would occasionally smile, and then go back to work.

Monday morning arises, and I was once again harping on him about turning in his back work, as well as the projects that were due before Friday.

He just looked at me and said "Don't worry, Mom.  I've got this."

By 10 am, I get an e-mail from his English teacher.  Not only  had he turned in every back assignment from the quarter, he had written an analysis essay comparing the book they had just finished reading to the economic principles they had just covered in economics.  His final project on Drones was considered to be the best submission she had from any of her students in any of her English 12 classes.

By noon, I had an e-mail from his pop culture teacher.  He had turned in every back assignment, and turned in his final project early.

By 1, the Spanish teacher e-mailed me to let me know that he had turned in all of his back assignments.

On Tuesday, we got a call from the counselor at the high school letting us know that he would be graduating without any issues whatsoever.

I just received his electronic report card this morning.

AP Calculus - A
AP Economics- A
AP Physics- A
AP Spanish - C
Honors Painting- A
Pop Culture- B
Honors English 12- B

What the heck?

So, last week, we watched him march across the stage.  He hugged his English teacher instead of shaking her hand....

And the first words out of his mouth after he found us in the stands?

"College?  Don't worry, Mom, I've got this."

No comments:

Post a Comment