Friday, September 6, 2013

Common Courtesy

I've been applying for jobs lately.  I finished my Master's degree in June, and I've been steadily pouring out a stream of job applications all summer.

The weird thing is, I remember back in the day, when we were taught to interview.  We sent in our resumes, would receive a phone call, asking us to come in for an interview (or a letter, very politely telling us "thank you, but no thank you."), and then, we were either called and offered a job, or we were sent a letter that told us very sweetly that another candidate had been chosen for the job.  And, by back in the day, I mean 10 years ago.

So, I've put in applications all over Central Maryland this summer.

Let me tell you my experiences:

1) Applications/Resume submission are all online now.  I submit my application online, and I rarely hear anything back.  Out of the 20 resumes/applications I have submitted in the last month, I have received 3 confirmation e-mails that state "Your application has been received.  Thank you for submitting...".  It makes me wonder if I submitted the other 17 correctly.  Of course, if I log in, the system tells me that I have submitted my resume and it is "processing".  I have no phone number to call in order to verify that someone has received my application.

2) Online scheduling of interviews.  Okay, this one is a very weird one.  I would actually prefer a phone call here.  Most HR reps. do call and set up an interview.  However, one company set up an interview through e-mail.  I attempted to call and verify, but the person on the phone in the office refused to verify, and referred me to my e-mail.  I went to the appointed place, at the appointed time, and the secretary of the interviewer was surprised when I showed up.  I handed her my e-mail, she was still surprised, and accused me of inventing the interview.  Thank heavens, two other people showed up for their interviews while I was discussing the issue with her.  The worst part?  The gentleman who was supposed to be conducting the interviews had forgotten he was doing them, and never showed.  The five of us sat outside of his office for over an hour before someone else from the department showed up and interviewed us one at a time.

3) No notes.  I was taught to send thank you notes to people who interview you.  I promptly send out a thank you note - in the actual mail- NOT an e-mail - to anyone who interviews me. 
In the past, I recall getting letters that say "Thank you for your interest.  We enjoyed meeting you at our interview.  Unfortunately, another candidate was chosen for this position", or some variation on those words.  Over this summer, I have sat in on 10 interviews.  I sent out 10 thank you cards.  I've received 1 - ONE - e-mail telling me that another candidate was chosen.  I'm assuming that the other 9 positions filled, especially for the position that I interviewed for back in June.  Still, it would be nice to hear an actual confirmation.

It seems like it would be common courtesy to the people who are being interviewed.  I do realize that the job market is full of people looking for jobs.  I understand that there are more candidates than jobs.  Having said that, I still think that common courtesy demands that people who are in the position to hire should treat the candidates with some level of respect.  At the very least, an e-mail stating that your application has been received would be appreciated.  Or, an e-mail letting candidates know that someone else was chosen for the position would be nice.

I understand that many companies have cut back expenses to the bone.  I understand that paper mail costs money.  Sending out an e-mail costs very little.  Considering that applications are online, the reasons for not sending out confirmation notes are slim at best.

I'm sure HR managers have their reasons for what they do.

However, as a potential candidate, I would appreciate a little e-mail love.  A confirmation that my application has been received.  If I get called in for an interview, a letter letting me know that another candidate was chosen for the position would be nice.  Personally, I'd really like to know that someone was hired.  I don't care who, but I'd like to have the closure on that particular interview.

After all, it is common courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment