Thursday, September 29, 2016

On Being a Librarian

One of the favorite parts of my job is when I get to help people find things.  Whether I'm conducting a full fledged Reference Interview, helping someone to locate specific materials related to a specific topic or Reader's Advisory, where I'm helping someone find a book to read, these are the high points of my work day.  While Reference Interviews can be challenging because the search is usually for very specific information, Reader's Advisory is by far even more challenging - and fun.

As an Academic Librarian, most of my work was Reference related, and 99% of it related to database access issues.

As a Public Librarian, about 80% of my work is Reader's Advisory. 

I've been asked for a movie that features "Kids on a Train" and "Something about Mexico".  Oh, "I think it's a documentary".  (Found it!  Which Way Home)

Or, one young man asked me for "something like Harry Potter, but not Harry Potter, but more fun... Do you know what I mean?"  (We settled on Skullduggery Pleasant)

I found one young gentleman (I'd say around 6 or 7) roaming in the adult non-fiction section recently.  I asked him what he was looking for, and he responded "I need a book for a man.  I need a man's book.  I don't need books with pictures.  I want something for men."  After some very serious discussion, we ended up in the children's non-fiction section with a copy of "The Way Things Work" and "The Dangerous Book for Boys".

But, by far, my most favorite interviews are with older ladies of a certain age.  These women cautiously approach, and beckon you away from the desk.  With lowered voices and furtive looks around, they explain that they are searching for "books with lots of um... you know....."  Very quietly, I'll take them over the Romance Novels. Hushed discussion ensue until a decision is reached.  Looking furtively all around them, they'll scurry over to the self-check out, and then put their books into their very large canvas tote bags.  I have to admit, I too like to read books with lots of um... you know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment