Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Taking Care of the Girls

15 years ago, my mother found out she had a very large lump in her breast. The doctors found it when they went to do an MRI while she was in the middle of a gall bladder attack.  The very large lump was removed, a mastectomy was performed, and she was finished.  I never found out what stage the cancer was, but it had not spread at the time of her surgery.

Mom was 70 when this happened.  Because she had a mastectomy, she never underwent chemo or radiation.  Keep in mind, Mom had a battle with Colon Cancer two years ago that she almost lost.  Is it related to the breast cancer?  I certainly don't know, but in my deepest heart I think it is.
Image: Burke Medical Center


Last month, her sister discovered that she had a tumor in her breast.  She underwent a lumpectomy and is currently undergoing radiation.  Her lump was Stage 1.  Small and treatable. 

I got my annual mammogram today.  15 minutes with a wonderful technician who joked with me through the entire experience.  It wasn't fun, but it wasn't horrible, either.  I get my mammogram done annually in the hopes that if I do ever have breast cancer, it is caught early and while still in it's most treatable state.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Take some time to look after your girls so that you'll be around for quite some time to come.  It only takes a few minutes.  You're more than worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment