Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Presidential Debates

I attempt to stay out of politics on this blog.  My intent is not to discuss political views - one way or another.  Aside from encouraging you to get out and vote and participate in the democratic process, I try very hard to keep my views to myself.  However, after watching the debates on Monday night, I have some questions both candidates need to address.  Leave the name calling aside, and answer these questions, please.

1) What are you going to do to unite a very divided Congress?  What strategies do you have to work to come to a consensus with members of the opposite party?

2) We currently have an open seat on the Supreme Court that needs to be filled. What will your ideal Supreme Court nominee look like?  Who are your top five names?

3) EDUCATION
 a) What are you going to do about the over testing of our children?
 b) Experienced teachers are leaving education in droves.  What are you going to do to increase teacher retention?
 c) Spending on the related arts has been and continues to be cut in school systems nationwide.  (Art, Music, PE, Media)  What are your thoughts on this?
 d) Recess has been slashed across the nation.  This has been shown to be detrimental to student learning.  How are you going to address this?

4) The Digital Divide is a very real phenomenon that prevents residents in inner cities and rural areas from accessing high speed internet.  What are your plans to address this issue?


I have other questions, but these questions are my biggest ones.  The education questions concern me the most.  Our children are our future, and that future is being jeopardized by the pressure that is being put on our kids to perform on standardized testing. 

I'm not attempting to engage anyone in a political discussion here.  I'm not going to allow any comments on this post - because I don't want this to degrade into a name calling post.  I'm not going to discuss my own political views.  I just want to know the candidates thoughts on THESE ISSUES.

No comments:

Post a Comment