Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Green Bean Casserole

I tried something new this year!  I absolutely love Green Bean Casserole, but finding a version that is gluten free and dairy free is next to impossible!  This year, I attempted to make my own version of this classic.  I started with store brand Gluten Free Crispy Fried Onions. 

My biggest challenge was attempting to find something that resembled Cream of Mushroom Soup.  I found Imagine's Portobello Mushroom Creamy Soup (Dairy Free) at our local health food store.

I figured, what the heck?  What do I have to lose?  So, I followed the recipe on the back of the onion can.  I measured out the equivalent amount of Portobello Mushroom soup as the recipe on the back of the can asked for both the cream of mushroom soup and the milk, combined. 

One stint in the oven later, and we had a gluten and dairy free version of green bean casserole.  We took a tentative taste, and ...... it was delicious!  It's a bit runnier than the more traditional version, but good heavens it was good!  Finally, three years after I found out that I had to go Gluten Free, and one year after I found out about the dairy allergy, the Green Bean Casserole is back!  Oh, happy day!

Would I made any improvements?  Next time, I think I might use another can of crispy onions.  I'm looking forward to playing with this wonderful combination for years to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment