Thursday, December 8, 2016

Buckeyes

This was one of my Dad's favorite recipes.  I remember making batches of this when I was five and Dad was stationed in Vietnam.  We made a batch that filled an entire five pound coffee can with Buckeyes, and another with fudge.  The man loved chocolate, but he loved chocolate and peanut butter even more!

I have tweaked the family recipe to include non-dairy items.  The original recipe called for parafin was to be added to the melted chocolate.  I don't use parafin in my recipe - so for that reason the Buckeyes must be kept in the fridge.  Otherwise, the chocolate will melt.

Buckeyes

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 TBSP Earth Balance Margarine
1 pound gluten free, dairy free chocolate chips.  (I use Good Life)

1) Stir together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter.
2) Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls.  Place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, and let them sit for an hour to dry out.
3) Melt the chocolate.
4) Dip the balls one at at time into the chocolate, and then removed to the wax paper.
5) Put the cookie sheet in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate hardens.
6) Store the Buckeyes in the fridge.

Super easy to make!  These little confections really are the personification of the phrase: "A minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips."

No comments:

Post a Comment