Monday, December 26, 2016

Monday Musings

It's been a busy week!  I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.  It's been an interesting one for us.  I've been very glad to have all the kids home, and I've been enjoying spending every minute with them, playing games, chatting, and watching nonsense television.  It's helped to put life back into perspective.

We're happily enjoying our Christmas leftovers!  Dinner tonight is Salmon Pasta salad made with the leftovers from last nights salmon.  (We had both salmon and ham last night.)  I've got beans soaking right now.  I'm going to make a huge pot of bean soup tomorrow using the leftover ham bone and the leftover roasted veggies.  It should be great!

Santa came through our neighborhood on the back of the fire truck Thursday night.  I always love seeing Santa, and I enjoy how much the volunteer fire department enjoys riding around the neighborhoods, dressed as Santa and waving at the kids.  It's a holiday tradition I eagerly anticipate every year!
We put in a lot of time on Friday, making candy.  Here you can see the Buckeyes that we made.  Surprisingly, we still have a few around the house!  We're very slowly working our way through them.  They are one of my favorite candies!  We dip ours using forks to fish them out of the chocolate.  I know some people use toothpicks to drop them in and fish them out, but I've dropped a lot of peanut butter balls back into the chocolate when they've fallen off of the toothpicks.  I don't know that there's any difference in the finished product.  And  they seem to disappear at the same rate no matter how you finish them off!


Middle child set the kitchen table for Christmas dinner.  Do you see how he put every single utensil straight up out of the food?  It was something special!  

A side note here:  This year, I ordered a fruit salad and a large Super Food Side Salad from Chick Fil A to serve with our meal.  Let me tell you, the food was amazing.  The Super Food side salad is one of the only ways you'll voluntarily get me to eat Kale.  It came in a nice covered plastic tray that I was able to put directly out on the table.  The large fruit salad covered us for breakfast on Christmas morning, and the leftovers were put out with the desert that night.  I'm not receiving any compensation from Chick Fil A here, I just wanted to mention how amazingly helpful it was to have the fruit and salad already done for me.  All I had to do was pull it out and put it on the table.  It's a very much appreciated short cut!  
We didn't venture out anywhere today.  Daughter works at a major retailer, and she was working today.  She sent out a note a while ago, stating "Mission Status: Chaos has descended upon the floor.  Mission Abort.  SOS - Save Our Store."   Knowing what major retailers look like on the day after Christmas, I'm expecting a very tired young lady to walk through the door in half an hour.  Dinner will be warm and waiting for her not too long after she walks in the door.

Wishing you the best as we quickly approach the end of the year!





No comments:

Post a Comment