Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Nose Job


I went to my primary care doctor back in November with a concern about a weird looking bump on my nose.  I've got a lot of bumps on my nose, but this seemed to be a little bit different than the rest.
I went to my Dermatologist back in December, and he took a biopsy of that weird little bump.  At the time, he told me that he thought it was a carcinoma, and we scheduled a follow up surgery for early January.

And so, a couple of weeks ago, I had the margins removed.  And then, he removed more.  Remember when I said I had a lot of bumps on my nose?  Turns out all of them had to be removed.  So, I had a large chunk cut out of my nose.  He stitched it up with 6 stitches.  And it hurt. Because it was on my nose - pretty much running the length of my nose, from just below the bridge of my nose to the end.

I even got to wear a big huge bandage on my nose for two fun filled weeks.  At work.  Remember, I work with the public?  It was memorable.

The stitches are out now.  My nose is slightly smaller than it was before.  I have a wonderful scar running the length of my nose.  But that's okay - it's better to be here with a scar.  I can wear make up on it if I really feel the need - once it's completely healed.  But honestly?  It adds character!  And - it's a reminder to people to get their skin checked - and if anything looks weird?  Get it checked!

So, this is a reminder to you, too.  If something seems wrong, get it checked.  If your doctor dismisses your concerns, find another doctor.  You know what your normal is.  If something isn't normal, find a doctor who will listen to your concern.

I'm glad I got that weird little bump on my nose checked.  My nose hurt, and it looks a little odd, but hey, that's okay. I just tell people that I had a nose job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment