Saturday, January 13, 2018

Grocery Expenses for the Week

Granted, we're only feeding 3 people and not 5, but sometimes, it's harder to keep expenses down when your feeding a small number of people after years of feeding large numbers of people!  My goal for this year was to keep our expenses for groceries under $250/month.  When you keep in mind that I also have to find food that is gluten, dairy, and soy free, it seems reasonable to keep expenses that high.

Grocery Trip: $75
I picked up 2 packages of chicken breasts: buy one, get one free.
I also picked up sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions, bananas, celery, and a bag of dried beans.
2 quarts of veggie stock.
1/2 gallon of cashew milk.
1 pound of GF oatmeal.
Frozen Vegetables.
Coconut Milk Yogurt,
5 pound bag of frozen fruit.
And a few other odds and ends.

Here's what we made with it:

Root Vegetable Tagine with Kale:
https://feedmephoebe.com/tagine-recipes/

This very filling recipe provided us with dinner Sunday night and lunch for 2 extra days.

Smoothie Fruit Bowls
My tummy has been acting up for the last month.  This month, my goal is to eat foods that will nourish and heal my GI Tract.  (It's a Celiac Flare-Up.  Not certain where the contamination came from, though.)

Have you had a smoothie bowl?  You mix the yogurt with some fruit and juice, and then pour it into a bowl with nuts, seeds, berries, and other goodness on the top.  I used what I had on hand, so my bowls were made with coconut milk yogurt and pineapple, and topped with coconut, dried mixed berries, pumpkin seeds, and sliced bananas.  So much goodness!

White Chicken Chili 
One of my favorite chili dishes.  I like to take a break from the tomato every once in a while!  This was another huge pot of soup, with leftovers for lunch for several more days.  Both daughter and I take our lunch to work, and reheat it there.  It's always a treat to have some leftovers!

Quinoa Acorn Squash Rings
http://tastefulventure.com/roasted-acorn-squash-with-cranberry-walnut-quinoa-stuffing/

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Made in the Insta-Pot

Spaghetti 

I had lots of leftovers this week!  We finished most of them off today around lunch time.  I still need to make dinner for tonight - but I'm not terribly hungry right now!

How did you do with your grocery shopping this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment