Monday, January 22, 2018

Truman Library and Museum

While it's not a public library, it's still a library!  I really enjoyed visiting the library, and I really enjoyed the ability to put his presidency in the context of U.S. History at that time.  I knew the history, but I don't think I truly appreciated the full extent of what he did and the impact it has had on our modern world until I went through the museum.  We went because we were celebrating husband's birthday.  I was expecting the entire thing to be a yawn fest, but - nope - I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute that I was in the building!  I'm going to share a few pictures below, but I honestly don't think that my pictures do justice to the experience.


Replica of the Oval Office during Truman's Term in Office





The flame outside of the museum.  The Truman family is buried in the courtyard.  See those windows across the courtyard?  That's where the library is. Only REAL researchers are allowed in there. 

The infamous newspaper that came out ahead of the election results!

Harry, Bess, and Margaret!
I don't know if you can read all of the text.  This is the most sobering artifact I've ever seen.  It's the plug from the "Fat Boy" bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki.  Remember, Pres. Truman made the decision to drop the bombs.

The document, with Truman's corrections, that recognize Israel as a state.


No comments:

Post a Comment