There is an old weather proverb that proclaims if March comes in "like a lion", it will go out "like a lamb."
Way back when I was teaching, we used to track lion and lamb days during the month of March. Warm, sunny days were considered to be lamb days. Windy, cold, stormy days were considered to be lion days. Every day, we would talk about the weather and track the forecast. March has always been a very changeable month for weather as the seasons change. The daily swings in temperature can give you whiplash.
Back in the day, we would create a bar graph, and compare whether we had more lion or lamb days, how many more, how many less, make our predictions for the next day... I always enjoyed those graphs. I have no idea about the kids, but it was a highlight I looked forward to every spring.
It has been many years since I last taught in a classroom, but this March has made me think deeply about those days and the charts. While I have not gone so far as to create a lion/lamb bar graph, I have been keeping a running tally on a post-it on my desk. So far, in Central Maryland, we have had more Lion Days. Days that start out sunny and end with accumulating snow on the ground. Brisk Days with high winds, rain... so much rain. Tornadoes. It's been a very weatherful spring here!
Looking out at the 10 day forecast, it looks like we should end with a Lamb Day. What about you? What kind of spring have you had so far? I know parts of the country have been consumed by wildfire, and other parts are underwater. I'm fortunate in that we seem to be in between the extremes.

No comments:
Post a Comment