Wednesday, March 4, 2026

The Correspondent by Virginia Evans

 


This was such a delightfully unexpected book!  Set as a series of letters, we join Sybil who has retired and sits down to write everyone.  Family, friends, neighbors, authors, and acquaintances.  

Through these letters, we take a look at Sybil's life both past and present.  We journey with her through her relationships with her friends, family, and acquaintances. She takes a hard look at her actions, and how they have impacted others around her.

I found this book to be a charming story that delved deep into the heart of the human condition.  Through Sybil's letters, we see great loss, regret, love, and joy.  While each letter is to or from a different person, it is easy to follow the arc of Sybil's story.  There were several times when I found myself downright angry with Sybil... and sometimes I wanted to send her a letter and ask her some questions about an event that she alluded to in her letters.

In many ways, Sybil reminded me of my mother in law.  While my MIL was never a lawyer, she was of a similar age to Sybil in the story, and she was a dedicated letter writer.  We have binders of the letters that she wrote over the years. My MIL would not talk on the phone, but she would send a 20 page letter in a heartbeat.

And now, I find myself getting ready to sit down and write a letter to Virginia Evans.  While she might not ever answer me, I feel the need to sit down and write a physical letter in appreciation for this wonderful novel that she has gifted us.  5/5, highly recommend this book!


NPR Interview with the Author: https://www.npr.org/2026/01/22/nx-s1-5677630/the-influence-of-the-sleeper-hit-novel-the-correspondent

Author Website: https://www.virginiaevansauthor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment