Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Getting the Cars Ready for Winter

The days are getting shorter and colder.  Parts of the United States saw snow over the weekend.  That was our reminder that we needed to get our cars ready for the winter.

We always get the oil in our cars changed every 3,000 miles.  It's how our Civic has lasted 14 years and well over 200,000 miles.  We had the oil changed in both cars just last week.

This is what we do to get our cars ready for the winter:

1) Make sure the windshield washer fluid is topped off.  We buy an extra gallon and keep it in the garage so we can add more on warmer days through the winter.

2) Replace the windshield wipers.

3) Check to make certain the jumper cables are accessible.

4) Add the collapsible snow shovel.  I tend to take this out of the trunk in the spring, because it gets in my way.  Husband leaves it in year round.

5) Change the batteries in the flashlight.

6) Add a bag of kitty gravel.  (Non-clumping).  We use this for traction in case if we get stuck in the snow.  It's happened more than once before, and that bag of litter has made a big difference in getting out.  I've seen other people use carpet remnants or gravel.  We use kitty litter.  I'm not certain, but I like to think it's easier on the environment.

7) Find wherever the ice scrapers have migrated to and move them into the pockets on the driver's side door.  Oh yeah, and clear out all of the affiliated junk in that pocket.

8) Clean out all of the loose stuff in the car, and vacuum it.  (Just because)

9) Check the tire pressure.

10) Check to make sure all of the bulbs are working - headlights, tail lights, and turn signals.  Replace as needed.  Really don't want a ticket for something we could have easily fixed for less than $5.

11) Add a blanket, and a seasonal change of clothes to the trunk.  I actually keep a suitcase in the trunk of the car year round, in case if something happens and I have to stay overnight somewhere unexpectedly.  For winter, this change includes underwear, socks, shoes, a long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt.  (Remember, I used to teach.  You never knew what was going to happen in the course of a day, so having a change of clothing with you was always a good idea just in case.)  BTW, I also carry a large plastic bag to put a dirty change of clothing in.

12) Check the food and water supplies.  I have a big plastic box in the trunk that holds water bottles and snacks.  I can't tell you how many times I've hit up those supplies over the years.  Hungry kids, hungry me, running late, whatever the reason, I've always got fairly healthy snacks that won't melt in the trunk of my car.  If I do get stranded on a road in a snowstorm, or I am running late and starved, knowing I've got something to nosh on until I can get home and get real food is a nice feeling.

Have you gotten your car ready for winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment