Monday, February 1, 2016

2016 Resolutions - February Update

Resolutions.  We make them, and then we forget them.  I'm just as guilty of this as everyone else.  I began keeping track of them last year, in an attempt to force myself to come back and look at what I promised myself I'd do, and then DO it.  I sound like the Nike commercial, don't I?

Every year, my resolutions vary.  They are a list of things that I'd like to do - and things that I need to do.  Since I've begun keeping track of my resolutions on this blog, I've done a significantly better job of keeping my resolutions than I ever did before.  I'm very proud of the job I've done accomplishing things since I began posting this publicly!


1) Remodel the Hall Bathroom

Third year is the charm, right?

2) Improve my Health
For 2 years now, my goal has been to lose weight.  Over the last two years, I have lost weight.  But I need to lose more weight.  Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, I am going to focus on some larger goals that are a bigger indication of overall health.

a) Lose inches off of  my waist.
This year, my goal is to lose 3 inches off of my waist before the end of the year.
1/4 of an inch gone, in one month.  That was an awful lot of work for only one quarter of an inch.....

b) Get my blood pressure down into the normal-normal range.
My next check up isn't until April... so, this will be the test.  Will I get lectured in April, or will my blood pressure be at the point that nobody thinks twice?  We'll soon find out!

c) Go down at least one clothing size. 
Working on this.... I've lost inches, or fractions thereof all over this month.  Not enough to go down a size, but enough to make my clothes a little bit looser on me!

3) Re-Start my Vegetable Garden
Garden catalogs!  Oh my!  I love my garden catalogs!

4) Learn to Pressure Can
Need to find a pressure canner.

5) Daughter's Quilt
I have a pile of fabric.  A great big pile of fabric squares.  I need to cut a few more squares before I can get moving on this.

6) Clean Out and Organize the Carport
I didn't move fast enough on this before the snow hit!  But, we did get things cleared out enough that the woodpile isn't a problem.  At the rate we're burning wood this winter, we should be able to

7) Exercise Consistently
With the exception of the days we snowed in, I've been exercising an average of five days a week.  I feel better than I have in a long time, and a bonus side effect?  I was able to shovel snow for hours at a time with a minimum of muscle aches when we finished.

8) Clean Out 23 Things Each Week

Here's a humbling number - 23 Things, every week for 52 weeks?  That's 1,196 things I plan on taking care of this year.

We had a huge haul of stuff that went out of the house after being snowed in for the better part of a week. A bag of books (20 books) to the Used Book Store for a trade in for credits, and 2 boxes plus a bag full of stuff for the thrift shop, and another bag full of craft supplies for the art department at the high school.  Total number of items that went out in this load: 150+.  (I gave up after 150... why keep counting?) I'm going to hit up 1,200 things before I know it if I keep going at this rate.

Items Out of the House This Month: 323
Big Black Trash Bags: 2



9)Participate in the NoSpenduary Challenge
I found this challenge last year on a wonderful little blog entitled Frugal, Debt Free Life.  In short, aside from bills and the gas that is required to get to and from work, you spend no extra money during the month.  No Starbucks runs.  No fast food.  NADA.  I am curious to see how this pans out for us!

This is extra timely as the van went in for an oil change and came out with repairs totaling over $1500.  We were able to scrape together enough cash to pay for the repair, but the savings account needs to be replenished NOW!

10) Visit One Place on my Bucket List
Phase One: completed

11) Get at least half of the CEU's I need to keep my teaching  and my library certificate.
I'm taking a class right now.  3 CEU's out of the 6 I need to renew my certificates.
Best of all?  The class is free, offered through a library association.  (OK, I do pay dues for the library association, so I am technically paying for the class.  BUT, I'm not paying any additional money for the class.)

12) Scrapbooking
I need to catch up.  I know I had years that I didn't do this.  I went through all of the albums this month and found the years that I have not yet finished.  These are the years I am in search of:
2006
2009
2010
2011
2012
2015 - Let's start where I am now.  I just finished this album while we were snowed in!

This is going to be fun.  From 2009 on, we had a digital camera.  Those pictures will be easy to find.  2006 was all paper photos.  6 years.  Can I get them all done before the end of the year?  Let the challenge begin!

13) Walk or Bike a portion of at least 6 Rail Trails
Did not happen this month!  Maybe if I had snowshoes I could have had some interesting adventures?


14) Pay off the big debt and one smaller one-
NoSpenduary!  The goal is to pay off the balance of the big debt at the end of the month.

15) The Recipes Tab
After a lot of work this month, I got the recipe tab organized.  While I don't have the pictures to accompany every recipe, I do have the recipes organized.


What are your resolutions for this year?  What kind of progress are you making towards your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment