Wednesday, February 17, 2016

In Search of the Perfect (Vegan) Grilled Cheese

Disclosure Notice: I am receiving nothing in exchange for this review.  These are my honest opinions about products I purchased on the advice of my friends with my own money.
 
I found out that I was allergic to milk in November - just before Thanksgiving.  I posted about it last week, as I finally feel comfortable enough about my new reality to share it.  I am still not that fond of anything that is labeled Gluten-Free/Dairy - Free, but I need to learn to adapt.  So, I've been slowly learning to adapt to the new and different tastes.

I have been craving a grilled cheese sandwich lately.  I asked my Vegan friends what they do when they want to have a grilled cheese sandwich.  They unanimously weighed in with rave reviews for Daiya cheese.  BUT, when questioned on which type of fat to use to grill the sandwich in, the reviews were evenly divided between Grapeseed Oil, Avocado Oil, and Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.

Today, I decided to taste test the Earth Balance blend.


Using my favorite gluten-free bread, I layered in the cheese, and used a generous portion of the buttery sticks to grill the bread.


I probably should have defrosted the bread before I started, as it took the cook time up longer, and it took longer for the "cheese" to melt.  Give it enough time and press down on the bread with the spatula, and it does speed up the cooking.

The finished product!  The "cheese" is perfectly melty, and the taste of the buttery sticks is phenomenal.  Actually, I think this cheese melted better than a certain name brand American Cheese Product.  After almost 3 months without a grilled cheese sandwich, this tasted very close to the real thing!

Overall, this was a phenomenal taste, and I enjoyed this Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich!  Maybe this no-milk diet won't be as hard as I thought it would be after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment