Friday, February 12, 2016

Frugal Friday

Something out of Poe - a flock of Ravens sitting in the branches of the trees.
After the last two weeks, I'm beginning to think that the title of this week's post should be Profiligate Friday, or Flout It Friday.

If you recall....  I had set up February as our personal Nospenduary Challenge.  I couldn't wait!  I thought for sure I'd get a major debt paid off at the end of the month.

At the beginning of the month, I took the van in for an oil change, and it ended up needing $1500 in repairs. "No problem, we can cover this with cash from the emergency savings."

Last week, daughter woke up with a hugely swollen face.  Two courses of antibiotics later, and she will have a root canal on Monday, followed by a Crown a couple of weeks later.

The fun of seeing if the tooth was viable was that we had another set of x-rays taken, and ended up with a referral to an oral surgeon to have the wisdom teeth removed.  All 4 of them.  Fortunately, that won't happen until April, so we've got some time to save money for that.  Insurance doesn't cover much in the way of tooth extractions, so save, save, save.  I can't find a clever way to make March into Thrift.  Maybe Miser Month?

With the exception of those BIG ticket items, we did not spend any additional money this past week.  I made a huge pot of chili on Sunday for the Super Bowl.  The leftovers were repurposed into Taco Salad.  I tried a recipe for Jerk Chicken that I found on Cooking Light's Website.  I served it over lettuce to make a salad later in the week.  We had pancakes for Shrove Tuesday, and we went out to dinner one night with friends.  It was a Panera meet-up, so we were able to use a gift card we had been given for Christmas.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot - I returned my library books ON TIME - so there were no late fees!  I've got to get better about returning those books on time.  10 cents here and 20 cents there adds up after a while.

More boxes are brewing in the basement.  Husband has Monday off of work.  He's going to take them over to Goodwill.  Last count was 200 items in those boxes - and we've got more to go before I send them out.  It's really, really nice to see that junk finally leaving the house!  I've started setting aside a pile of things to see if I can sell them on E-Bay.

I hope you enjoy your weekend and enjoy time with your sweetheart!


No comments:

Post a Comment