Thursday, May 5, 2016

My College Bucket List

I have my recent bucket list posted on the side of my blog.  I've been slowly chipping away at it over the years.  I knew I had another bucket list that I had written when I was in college.  I had been searching for it half-heartedly for the last few months, and I found it last week.  It was in a spiral notebook, filled with stuff from my college days.  Musings about school, future plans, current events, and this list.

Talk about a trip down memory lane.  Looking back through that notebook was a wonderful walk back in time.  I enjoyed remembering who I was 30 years ago and seeing the direction that I wanted my life to take.  You know, it's funny, but life happens in the midst of all your plans.

I wanted to share this list with you...  I enjoyed remembering where I was and what I wanted to do.  It's nowhere near where I am and what I'm doing now!

This list was written when I was in college during the 80's.  Looking at the things I had written before and after - most of which was dated - I'm thinking it was written in '86.

1) Hang out with Martin Short
Hello, this man is amazing.  I adore him, and would love to spend time just chatting with him.  I'd love to hear his world view!  Martin, if you're ever in the Baltimore area, I'd love to treat you to lunch somewhere and just chat for a while about life, the universe, and everything!  I've had a wild crush on you since 1985.)

2) Go Hot Air Ballooning
This would be so cool... Maybe for an anniversary I can talk my husband into it.

3) To bicycle/train ride around Europe
I still haven't been to Europe, but I would still love to ride the train around Europe and see the countryside, getting off at various points of interest all over the continent.  Even better, since I set this as a bucket list item back in 1986, the Berlin wall is gone, and Eastern Europe isn't quite the same as it used to be.  Oh,wait - could I ride on the Oriental Express? 

4) Go to Canada
Still haven't been, still want to go.  I've got a list of places I want to see: Novia Scotia, Prince Edward Island, The Canadian Rockies, Banff, Vancouver British Columbia, and the area around Niagra Falls.

5) Go to Australia
Need to get there.

6) Get my PhD before I'm 30.
Wow - talk about optimistic!  I'm 50 now, and earned my Master's Degree 3 years ago.  That took a lot longer than I thought it would, and NOW I really don't want a PhD.  I'm content with my Master's Degree, and I really do enjoy my job!

7) Go see Baryshnikov dance.

8) Get back into my music.
This was actually a new year's resolution back in 2013.   I used to play bassoon & flute back in high school, and I sang in college. When I wrote this goal back in the day, I intended that to mean my bassoon or flute.   I don't ever see picking up a bassoon or flute again, but I do love to sing.  Singing is so much more portable!  I've been singing in the church choir since 2013... I'm an alto, and I'm always thrilled when I come in on Wednesday nights for practice and Sunday morning to sing.

9) San Francisco
I went with my husband for our 10th anniversary.  It was awesome!  What a beautiful city!

10) Learn to Dance
Husband and I have taken dance lessons in the past.  I love my husband dearly, but he has no sense of rhythm and two left feet.  Swing dance lessons are absolutely painful with him.  We keep trying, though.  We have three kids who will eventually get married, and if any of them decide to have dancing at their reception, we will dance!


Isn't that a wonderful list full of optimism from a 21 year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment