Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bucket List

So, this version of the Bucket List has been circulating around social media.  I thought I'd play along and share it on here - along with some explanations!  How about you?  Have you done many of these things?

Been Married X
26 years come July!

Fell in love X



Gone on a blind date 

I missed out on this particular experience.  

Skipped school X

As a teacher, and as a student both.  :)
Sometimes, you just need a day off.
 
Watched someone give birth 


Watched someone die X

I was there with my Dad.  Not a terrific experience, but to see peace come over him a few hours before he died, that was something incredible.

Been to Canada 

Stay tuned for this...

Been to Hawaii 


Been to Europe 


Been to Las Vegas 


Been to Washington D.C. X

Many, many times.  I went to high school just outside of DC, and up until a few years ago, I took the kids down at least once a year.

Been to Nashville X

Many, many years ago, I went with my Aunt and Uncle.  I was 8.  I enjoyed the entire experience.  I really want to go back again.  I'm certain things have changed in the 42 years since I've been there!

Visited Florida X

I went when I was in high school with the band.  And I went when I was in college with my singing group.  5 years ago, we went with our mostly grown kids.  It's an interesting experience!  I'm not a fan of the summer heat and humidity in FloridaWe've got heat and humidity in spades around here - and I'm not a fan of it.  It's even more humid and hot in Florida.

Visited Mexico 

Does a trip over the border when you're 5 count?

Seen the Grand Canyon in person 

Soon
 
Flown in a Helicopter 


Been on a cruise 

Hmmm.... A cruise like the Love Boat?  Where you vacation?  NO
A cruise like a scenic cruise past the Norfolk Naval Base?  YES
A cruise like a ferry ride?  YES

Served on a jury 


Been in a movie (music video) 


Been to Los Angeles X

My Dad took me out to Los Angeles after I graduated from high school in 1983.  Haven't been back since. 

Been to New York City X

I went for the first time for my 21st birthday.  I've been back once with each of the kids - the oldest on a band trip.  The middle one for his graduation trip.  The youngest one to look at colleges.

Played in a band (orchestra) X

High school band!  Who-Hoo!  I played flute, and I played bassoon.  I should have put more time and effort into both.  Who knows where I'd be now if I had?

Sang karaoke X

And I was sober each time I did it, too!  I'm really not a bad singer - so as long as I pick a song in my vocal range, all is good.  

Made prank phone calls X

You know, this might very well be a generational thing.  I don't think that this happens in the age of caller ID.  My generation might have been one of the last that will have done this.

Laughed so much you peed your pants X


Caught a snowflake on your tongue X

The first snowstorm of every year, I make a point of going out and catching snowflakes on my tongue.  I don't know why, but it seems like a good thing to do!

Had children X

Three of them!

Had a pet dog X

My husband is afraid of dogs, so we don't have any - but we had several when I was growing up: Orangie, a mixed breed mutt.  Top Hat, a purebred Pekinese that was practically given away since he was the runt of the litter.  Winnie, a Dachshund. Princess - a terrier mix of indeterminate origin that my Mom saved from being dumped on the highway.

Been sledding on big hill X

Virginia Tech Golf Course. 
The Hill by Lake Elkhorn in Columbia.  

Been downhill skiing X

One of the more embarrassing moments of my life.
I'm lucky I didn't break anything.

Been water skiing X

Another one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.
I spent an awful lot of time being pulled THROUGH the water face first.

Rode on a motorcycle X

Dad had a motorcycle for a few years.  I enjoyed our rides together!

Jumped out of a plane 


Been to a drive-in movie X

Another item that might very well be a generational thing.  The last time I went to a drive in was before we had kids.  I think husband and I need to try to track one down this summer.

Rode an elephant X

At the zoo, when I was a little girl.

Been on TV X

Recently, too.  As part of the school's robotics team triumphal win of a major award!

Been in newspaper X

Only for good things! Winning a volunteer award, speaking about my Girl Scouts, or about an outreach project at my church.

Stayed in Hospital X

When my kids were born.

Donated blood 


Gotten a piercing X

My ears are pierced!

Gotten a tattoo 


Driven a stick shift vehicle X

I learned how to drive in a stick shift, my first car was a stick, and our Accord was a stick.  

Driven over 100 mph



Been scuba diving 


Lived on your own X


Rode in the back of police car X

We'd been in an accident and our car was totaled.  The very nice officer drove us home in the back of his car.  It was a little weird when I realized there were no door handles in the back!  Not an experience I want to repeat, but so very glad the officer drove us home and we didn't have to wait for a taxi to come and find us in the middle of the night.

Got a speeding ticket 

*knock on wood* not yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment