Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Farmer's Market

Have you noticed that more and more farmer's markets are opening up as the growing season progresses?  I hit up two separate farmer's markets this weekend, saw my favorite farmers and picked up some wonderful produce!


You can only get these tasty roots in the spring and fall.  I LOVE BEETS!!



Asparagus.  This won't be around for much longer.  It doesn't even freeze well.

I picked up lettuce, spinach, and kale, too, but they don't make as nice of a picture.  Lots of green leaves in a bag....  But, they were picked fresh that morning!  I picked up some rhubarb, too.  Nothing screams spring like Strawberry - Rhubarb Cobbler.

Flower baskets galore!  I love the colors in this one!



More flowers!  I love their faces!


I picked up herbs, too.  A lot of herbs.  We filled a large pot.  I have basil, thyme, oregano, and chives.  Daughter put lavender in another pot.  I'm still searching for dill.  I'm not certain where I'm going to find it, though.

The biggest problem for the farmers is the very wet weather we've been having.  It's been hard to get stuff into the ground.  And you know, once the rain stops, it is going to be hot and muggy.  I hope there's enough of a window for the farmers to get their crops in this year.

I worked on this post yesterday morning.  Last night, Channel 2 News in Baltimore ran this story about the weather and the impact upon local crops:  http://www.wbaltv.com/news/wacky-weather-knocks-out-summer-crops-in-westminster/39573016.  I can't get the actual video to share in my window, but if you click on the link, you'll see the story. 

As I look out my window, I'm watching yet another gully washer pour down yet more rain upon our very soaked ground.  I'm beginning to get a little worried about the summer crops now...

What about you?  Have you managed to get anything in the ground yet this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment