Friday, June 24, 2016

Interviews

Last year, the a/c was out in my van. I had an afternoon interview after I finished work for the morning. It was noon when I left, and it was already close to 100* with the humidity up close to 90%. I rolled the windows down and headed down the road to the interview, trying to ignore the thoughts of what was happening to my hair. 

I arrived at the interview looking like the Wild Woman of Westeros. I had brought a change of shirt with me, so I slipped into the clean, dry shirt in the bathroom.  I could do nothing about my windswept hair except run a brush through it. Unlike everyone else, when it gets hot and humid, my hair gets flatter and straighter. I pulled the mess up into a barrette. When I took a serious look at my face, I gasped. It was bright red. I ran some cold water over it, but there wasn't much I could do. 

I presented myself to the startled receptionist, and then sat in a chair fanning myself with my folder until called into the interview. 

I faced a very startled looking panel, with a very proper gentleman at the head of the table. I began my introduction with the stock "The air conditioner is out in my car, and it feels like I drive through water to get here."  The proper gentleman struggled to keep a neutral face as we proceeded with the interview. 

Needless to say, I didn't get the job. 

However, one year later, I'm interviewing with the same organization. When HR called to schedule the interview the receptionist who had witnessed the whole fiasco last year asked me "Is your air conditioning fixed yet?"  

I guess I really did make an impression!!

No comments:

Post a Comment