Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Progress of One Kind and Another

Our poor kitchen.  Pity me and my husband.  We've been locked out of the kitchen for close to a month now.  Granted, I'm not the world's best cook, and I don't always enjoy cooking, but when you can't get into your kitchen you really begin to miss it after a while.

We're making significant progress now.  The pace is picking up, and I am so very, very excited to see how fast things are moving along!

The sink has been removed from the counter.  We were both very surprised at the condition of BOTH of the joins underneath the drain in the sink.  Both were corroded.  The left sink bowl hadn't started leaking yet, but I honestly think it was only a matter of time before it started leaking.  The sink itself is only 12 years old, so I don't understand the corrosion and deterioration.  You might want to have a look at the pipes under your own sink and see how they're holding up. 




Wow, isn't it pretty?  We left the lower pipes, and more importantly the "U" bend, or trap intact.  This allows water to remain in pipe and keep sewer gas from coming back up into the house.

The view from the front. FYI - we DID turn the water in the sink OFF before we began taking this apart!  If we hadn't, we'd be dealing with even more water.



The sink and the faucet, out in the carport.   I'm also very concerned by the amount of mold and mildew behind the faucet and behind the drain/vent for the dishwasher.  I'm concerned that there is going to be damage to the drywall.  I guess we'll find out soon!


This week didn't involve any expenditure of money - just expenditure of physical labor.

As of right now, we're still under our max budget of $1500.  We've spent $396 to date.
The crucial moment is now.  The next bit hinges upon our ability to get the counter top out without breaking it....

I've stopped all mention of the Property Brothers around my husband.  He's feeling stress enough about this without my harping on how much faster/better Jonathan and Drew (and their crew of many tradespeople) could get this done.  Right now, it's just one guy with the help of his rather inept wife and overeager sons.


Other Posts in this Series:
It Only Looks Like We're Not Making Progress
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back




No comments:

Post a Comment