Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Lobbying in Annapolis

They say that all politics is local politics.  I'm not sure about that, but I do feel like my voice is heard more at the local level.  Last month, I went down to Annapolis to lobby for some bills at the state level.  When I do go into lobby at the State Level, I go with an organized group of people.  The group itself makes certain that we have appointments to meet with the representatives or one of their aides.  I'm also with a group of people, which makes speaking out a little bit easier!  (for me, anyway.)  I don't know that I'd do anything more than write letters if it weren't for them!  I only ever lobby with two groups, because I feel so strongly about their mission.  In addition, I need to have the time off work, and believe strongly in whatever legislation they are working towards.  For this reason, I only go down once every few years.

Lt. Gov. Rutherford

This year, I went down to Annapolis with the health care lobby.  Before we were sorted into groups and sent over to the office buildings, we had some words of wisdom from our Lt. Governor, Boyd Rutherford.  He spoke about the Heroin epidemic in the State of Maryland, what is being done to combat it, and specific steps that the State is taking this year and legislation that they are requesting to continue to fight back.  I don't know what the Heroin situation looks like where you live, but here in Maryland, we are losing our young people (and not so young people) at a frightening rate.  If you think there's no Heroin problem in your neighborhood, think again.  Call your local sheriff's office and ask about the number of overdoses so far this year.  How many of them were fatal overdoses?  I imagine the numbers are sobering.

Hearing Room

Anyway, after the talk, we headed out to attend a press conference and then onto the Senate office buildings for hearings.

I always enjoy listening to the hearings.  Expert testimony followed by a Q and A Session by the legislators.  I learn so much, and get to hear a clear cut presentation of both sides of an issue.  One thing is very clear to me every time I go.  I don't think I would have the patience to sit down and listen to the testimony, ask the questions, and make unbiased decisions that I feel best represent the views of my constituents.  I know that in my own life, both personal and professional, I am almost always right and have few hesitations about making the right decisions.  At a larger level though, I don't know that I would be able to make those decisions that impact so many people easily.  It's a heavy responsibility.  I sincerely hope that all of our elected leaders keep the best interests of their constituents - and not their party - in the forefront of their minds when they are making decisions that impact us all.

Downtown Annapolis by the Dock (Ego Alley)

No comments:

Post a Comment