Friday, December 8, 2017

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

That's supposed to be part of a song.  Do you recognize it?  Even if you don't, it sums up what's coming up for us.

Middle Child graduated in May.  He spent one last summer working as the head life guard and aquatics director while he searched for employment.  He put out applications.  He went on interviews.  He went on second interviews.  And he never heard back from anyone.

He widened his search area.  He had someone look at his resume and cover letter.  He had more interviews.  He had second interviews.  And he never heard back from anyone.

I tell you, if I hadn't spent a good 6 months looking for a new job last year, I would have thought he was blowing smoke up my ass about how many job applications he had put out.  In the first six months of 2016, I put out over 150 applications, went on multiple first and second interviews, and NEVER HEARD BACK FROM ANYONE.  And I have experience. 

Middle Child has been applying for jobs since September of 2016.

In October, he finally heard back from an employer who was interested.  They had a second interview with him.  They followed up on the interview.  They asked him to fill out some paperwork.  They continued to follow up with him as he provided paperwork and did another set of interviews.

He was offered a job two weeks ago, which he accepted.  HOORAY!

The problem is, the job is in Kansas.  Kansas City, to be exact.

That's a long way from here, Dorothy.

Make no mistake - I am thrilled for him, and excited he has a job that he is so excited about.  I am happy that he has found meaningful work in his chosen field.  But why does it have to be halfway across the country?

He is out there with his Dad this week, looking for a place to live.  They're going to check out the area, and scout out walkability and churches and everything else you need to know about when you move to a new area.   He starts his new job the fist week in January.  We'll be moving him out the last week in December.

God, I am going to miss that kid!  I know he'll do great, but I am going to miss having him so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment